- FEATURED PRODUCTS
- Solar Panels
- Solar Power Systems
- Productos Solares en Puerto Rico
- Charge Controllers
- Deep Cycle Batteries
- Solar Panel Mounts
- MORE PRODUCTS
- Cables & Wiring
- Enclosures, Electrical & Safety
- Heat Pump Water Heaters
- Inverter Power Panels & PreWired Systems
- Meters, Communications & Site Analysis
- Portable Power Systems
- Solar Water Pumps
- Voltage Converters
- Wind Turbines
- Books & Education
- * Clearance Sale *
- Hot Deals
- Open Box & Refurb Deals
KiloVault 1200 HLX+ 1200Wh 100 Ah 12V Lithium Solar Battery UL
|1200 HLX PLUS-UL
KiloVault™ HLX+ Deep Cycle 12 Volt Lithium Battery
There may not be a one-size-fits-all deep cycle battery for solar storage, but the HLX+ series from KiloVault sure comes close. This 12 volt lithium battery comes in 100ah, 200ah, and 300ah capacities and strikes a truly excellent balance between performance, ease of use, and affordability.
KiloVault HLX+ 12 Volt Lithium Solar Batteries at a Glance
- Usable energy capacity meets or exceeds the rated 1200/2400/3600 rated Watt-hour capacities
- Can be used in 12V, 24V, or 48V configurations
- Lower cost per Watt-hour/cycle and longer lifespan than lead-acid batteries
- Integrated advanced 3-layer BMS (Battery Management System):
- Tolerates higher discharge current than the competition
- Is rated for high surges
- Reduces stress on critical components
- Operates in a huge range of ambient temperatures:
- Discharges in temps from -4° to 131°F (-20° to 55°C)
- Charges in temps from 32° to 113°F (0° to 45°C)
- If below freezing, charging current kicks on the internal heater and raises the battery's internal temperature to 41°F (5°C) and charging resumes
- Truly deep-cycling 100ah cells can be completely discharged (100% DoD)
- Push-button/LED panel on top gives instantaneous state-of-charge reading
- Long lifespan:
- 5000-cycle life when discharging to 80% DoD
- 2000-cycle life when discharging to 100% DoD
- Even after 2000 complete discharges, 80% of the rated amp-hour capacity remains
- Super high discharge current and surge ratings handle appliance and power tool start-up
- Built-in Bluetooth makes them ready to share monitoring and performance data to your phone via the KiloVault iT app for iOS and Android
- Lightweight (for a battery), sealed, and maintenance-free
- Can be installed indoors or outdoors, with or without a mounting bracket
- Safe lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) cell chemistry prevents thermal runaway concerns that plague other lithium-ion batteries
- ETL certified to UL Standard 1973
- 7.5-year limited warranty
Batteries That Live Where You Live
The purpose of having batteries is for comfort and convenience in your life. You want electricity when you want it, and batteries are the best way to make that available 24/7 with most renewable energy systems. For ultimate convenience, your batteries should be able to live (safely) inside your house or garage, take care of themselves, and communicate with your phone. HLX+ deep cycle 12V lithium batteries check all these boxes.
If you live on the go - or count vehicular recreation with boats, vans, RVs, or campers among your hobbies - you'll appreciate some of the additional features of the HLX+. Their durable construction features internal metal support brackets to reduce the components' vibration and bring peace of mind when bouncing on waves and unpaved roads. Their light weight makes maneuvering in tight boat/RV battery compartments tolerable. And their ability to operate across a really wide range of ambient temperatures (including temperatures below freezing) removes limitations around exploring too far north or during winter months.
Real Results from Real Marine/RV Users
We tell you the simple-but-reliable, rugged-but-lightweight HLX+ lithium batteries are great for boat and RV users, but you don't have to take our word for it. The trusted marine electronics resource Panbo tore apart and later reviewed HLX+ batteries - and loved what they found. And sailors/YouTubers Holly and Ray told us their HLX+ batteries allow them to "live as if we were on shore power...These batteries are going to change our life onboard. We are amazed!"
The Perfect Deep Cycling Lead Acid Replacement Battery
HLX+ 12V Lithium Solar Batteries serve as a perfect drop-in replacement for lead acid batteries in a renewable energy system. Why? Because they:
- are much more energy dense due to having:
- more energy storage per cubic inch
- more cycles before needing replacement
- the ability to deliver their full rated energy capacity by discharging completely (a 100ah lead acid battery that can only tolerate discharging to 50% due to inferior cell chemistry is really a 50ah battery in the end)
- require no watering, desulphating, ventilation, or heating
- are 12 volts and stackable in series - fit to replace 12V, 24V, or 48V lead acid battery banks
- are much lighter and easier to lift and maneuver (remember installing those lead acids? Well you're a a few years older now...)
And that's just the beginning - check out the overwhelming number of reasons to replace lead acid batteries with lithium batteries.
KiloVault HLX+ Deep Cycle 12V Batteries vs. the Competition
If you've been comparing different brands of deep cycle lithium solar batteries, you've probably read a lot of repetitive information. Here are some things that really set KiloVault HLX+ lithium batteries apart from the rest:
- A robust BMS that allows for a higher continuous discharge rate and a MUCH higher peak discharge rate (up to 3 seconds)
- A longer warranty (7.5 years)
- PLUSNET battery-to-battery communication via CANbus (under development) allows up to 4 HLX+ batteries to act as one system, syncing their heaters and sharing and reacting to each other's BMS alerts to keep the entire bank healthy
- With 4 batteries in series, a single battery experiencing over/under-voltage, over/low-temperature, or over-current conditions will trigger the appropriate BMS protection for all connected batteries
- With 4 batteries in parallel, a single battery experiencing over/low-temperature or over-current conditions will trigger the appropriate BMS protection for all connected batteries (a single battery experiencing over/under-voltage conditions will only affect that battery)
Should I insulate KiloVault HLX+ batteries?
Two of the best features of the HLX+ lithium solar batteries are 1) The ability to safely keep them indoors where they won't need insulation and 2) The internal heater that will activate and warm the battery up until it's able to start/resume charging. However, if you'll be keeping them outside and you live in a cold climate, insulating them such that they won't drop below freezing and thus won't need to divert charging current to the heater will make them more productive. Just remember to remove insulation when it isn't needed, as operating at very high temperatures consistently will shorten their life (this is true of any battery).
What is the best operating and storage temperature for HLX+ batteries?
The optimal ambient temperature range for the HLX+ is 59° to 95°F (15° to 35°C). They can discharge in ambient temperatures from -4° to 131°F (-20° to 55°C). They can charge in ambient temperatures from 32° to 113°F (0° to 45°C). Below 32°F / 0°C, charging current runs the internal heater, which heats the battery up to 41°F (5°C).
How many HLX+ batteries can be wired in series and parallel?
A maximum of 4 HLX+ batteries can be connected in series OR parallel (not both). No 2x2, 2x4, 3x2, etc, battery banks.* When adding batteries in parallel to an existing one, it is important to charge all batteries to 100% first and then keep all parallel strings within 0.2V of each other.
*If the installation will stay above freezing, you can wire up to 4 parallel strings of 4 HLX+ batteries together for a total of 16.
Should I do an equalization charge on the batteries?
No. Much like deep cycle AGM batteries, an equalization charge could overcharge and damage them.
Are the batteries shipped fully charged, or do I need to charge them?
Shipping guidelines do not allow deep cycle batteries to be fully charged during shipment. You will need to charge them, and you should do it as soon as possible after your batteries arrive. ALL your HLX+ batteries must be charged to exactly the same voltage (choose a voltage between 14.0V and 14.4V but make sure they are ALL the same). This will ensure you start with an even charge across the battery bank.
What battery charger should I use with my HLX+ batteries?
We suggest using 6AWG battery charging cables and the IOTA DLS-45 battery charger. We do NOT suggest using the Iota IQ-LIFEPO Smart Charger accessory with HLX+ batteries because we have found that the charge voltage is too high.
Can I do a constant trickle charge on the batteries?
Storing HLX+ batteries with a small constant trickle charge is NOT recommended. Unlike lead-acid batteries, lithium iron phosphate batteries self-consumes energy at such a low rate (0.02 amps or about 6 Watt-hours/day) that they can be easily overcharged if put on a trickle charger. Overcharging the battery triggers the overcharge protection - shutting it down until the voltage goes down enough by itself. Once that happens, the trickle charger would quickly raise the voltage up too high once again. This constant cycling of the battery's circuitry will shorten the life of the entire battery.
Do HLX+ batteries have firmware that needs to be updated?
There is a firmware update kit. Please call your sales rep if:
- after properly calibrating the battery's state of charge, it falsely reports gradual increases or decreases of the SoC to the KiloVault iT mobile app
- under low-load conditions, the battery periodically reboots itself - although it will restart automatically, it may require having to manually restart the connected equipment
The firmware update kit will add the latest firmware version and address the issues above. You will need to register your batteries on the KiloVault website. You can enter multiple batteries of the same model in a single registration form entry, and you'll see an option to request the free update kit as well.
Can my HLX+ LiFePO4 batteries be recycled after their useful life?
Yes! We have written about lithium battery recycling in our blog and included a link to a company that will help you recycle batteries of any kind in all 50 states.
KiloVault HLX+ Deep Cycle 12 Volt Lithium Solar Battery Specs
|1200 HLX+ UL
|2400 HLX+ UL
|3600 HLX+ UL
|Rated Energy Capacity (Watt Hours)
|DC Voltage Nominal
|Nominal Amp-Hour Capacity
|Optimal Charger/Inverter Settings
|Bulk/Absorption: 14.0V +/- 0.2V
Float: 13.4V +/- 0.2V
Low Voltage Cut-Off: 12.0V
Equalization: Disable. Do not use.
(Battery will shut down into protection mode)
|Maximum Cut-Off Voltage
|14.6 - 15.2V
|Minimum Cut-Off Voltage
|10.0 - 11.5V
|Continuous Discharge Current
|Max Charge Current
|Max Discharge Current (Continuous)
|Peak Discharge Current (<3 secs)
|Standard Charge Current
|Discharge Cut-Off Voltage
|10.0 +/- 0.2V
|Charging: 32 - 113°F (0 - 45°C)
Discharging: -4 - 131°F (-20 – 55°C)
|59 – 95°F (15 – 35°C)
|Low Temperature Protection
|Charge protection at 0°, release at 4°C
Discharge protection at -20°C, release at -10°C
|5000 (80% DoD); 2000 (100% DoD)
|Battery Management System
|Monitors and optimizes charge & discharge for each cell, provides overcharge, over discharge, temperature and short circuit protection
|Bluetooth KiloVault iT app
|≤3% per month
|Minimum Load to Prevent Sleep
|250 mA per HLX+ in series
|Max of 4 batteries can be used
in series OR parallel, but NOT both
|Max Time Between Charges
(L X W X H)
|12.5 x 6.5 x 9.25in
(318 x 165 x 235 mm)
|19.9 x 6.7 x 10.1in
(505 x 172 x 255 mm )
|20.5 x 11 x 9.25in
(521 x 280 x 235 mm)
|25.8 lbs (11.7 kg)
|59.5 lbs (27 kg)
|88.2 lbs (40 kg)
|Certified ETL to UL Standard 1973; UL1642; UN38.3; IEC62619; CE; OSHA 18001/ISO45001; ISO 9001/1400
HLX+ Batteries: The Fine Print
READ THIS BEFORE COMMISSIONING YOUR SYSTEM
- Each battery must be individually charged to 14.0V before placing it into operation with other batteries. Otherwise, the batteries will independently hit "full" or "empty" and shut off before others in the same battery bank.
- Equalization charge must be turned off in your solar charge controller or AC charger. If left on, the equalization charge will raise the voltage too high, damage the batteries and void the warranty.
- Bulk/Absorption charge voltage should be set to no higher than 14.0V for a 12V system, 28.0V for 24V system, and 56.0V for a 48V system (and lower for high amp chargers). Going any higher risks one or more batteries automatically shutting off in a high voltage protection mode.
- Similarly, the "Low Voltage Cut-Off" on the inverter should be set for no lower than 12.0V, 24.0V and 48.0V for a 12V, 24V and 48V system, respectively. Going any lower risks one or more batteries automatically shutting off in a low voltage protection mode.
- When turning on breakers to inverters, charge controllers, battery monitors, etc. connected to the batteries wait 45-60 seconds between powering up each device. The HLX+'s battery management system has special circuitry to detect short circuits and protect itself. Many brands of inverters, charge controllers and battery monitors will present a very high but very brief surge that can be interpreted as a short. The KiloVault can handle one of these "shorts" every 45-60 seconds. Alternatively, in most circumstances all devices can be powered up at once but the batteries will go into auto-protect mode and turn off for 30-60 seconds but then restart normally.
- Be sure to tighten the battery terminals before operating. Failure to do so will lead to the terminals overheating, melting the case and potentially cause a fire.
- It is very important to unbox the batteries and give them a full charge as soon as you get them, even if you're not going to commission them right away.
HLX+ History and Compatibility
KiloVault's 12V LiFePO4 battery line goes back to 2019. Originally called simply "HLX," these batteries' firmware and BMS were refined twice over the next two years, yielding an HLX V1, V2, and V3. Meanwhile, in February 2020, KiloVault released the "CHLX" - a version of the HLX that pioneered an internal heater feature that allows operation in sub-freezing ambient temperatures - a feature that has since been "adopted" by a number of other LFP batteries on the market. The HLX+, released in June 2021, combines and improves on the features of all its predecessors. However, the BMS on the HLX+ is significantly more advanced than both the HLX and the CHLX and can't communicate with them, meaning HLX+ batteries can't be added to an existing HLX or CHLX bank.
Refer to this table for compatibility between CHLX and HLX batteries.
- KiloVault HLX+ Series 7.5-Year Manufacturer's Warranty 20210821.pdf
- HLX+ Series Datasheet REV 1.1.pdf
- KiloVault HLX+ User Manual 2023-02-08.pdf