Southwest Windpower H80 and 200 wind turbin warning.

6 Posts
Dec 8, 2006 06:09 pm
Southwest Windpower H80 and 200 wind turbin warning.

I have two H80 turbins and both have had extensive repairs within the first two years of service.  I have went through four sets of blades, four sets of bearings and bearing upgrades, and several furling bearings.  These units are not designed very robstly and will only last for months not years under windy conditions.  Southwest Windpower refurbished both units this last time at around $800 and one lasted two days! The other is still up but who knows for how long.  The 200 series use the same parts with a user adjustable voltage setting.  The company is always willing to sell me complete assemblies but no individual parts.  The warning is; if your winds are not over 20 mph then put one up but anything over that is pure wasted time and wasted countless hours erecting and taking down/repairing these things, not to mention numerous insults from the engineering staff at Southwest Windpower.

6 Posts
Dec 9, 2006 01:35 am
Re: Southwest Windpower H80 and 200 wind turbine warning.

Sorry everyone, that should have been TURBINE.

351 Posts
Dec 9, 2006 05:34 pm
Re: Southwest Windpower H80 and 200 wind turbin warning.

John:

It is unfortunate that you did not get a warning about your turbines. The Whisper 200 is built to maximize the power at low-moderate windspeeds. Once a site hits an average annual windspeed of 12 mph or more, I think the Whisper 100 would be a better selection.

It sounds like your site has a higher annual wind speed. I would guess 15-18, from the sounds of it. I would recommend that you stop the cycle. Sell those turbines to someone who needs a low-moderate wind machine.

Buy new turbines that are more suited to the higher wind conditions of your site.

The other possibility is to talk to the guys at southwest windpower about the problem and what are the REAL differences between the two machines. The one that I am aware of is the prop. It is possible that just down sizing the prop to a 100 prop MIGHT resolve a lot of the problems. 

Ken
« Last Edit: Dec 9, 2006 05:49 pm by ken hall »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!