what alt energy source is right for me

1 Posts
Jun 2, 2007 01:08 pm
what alt energy source is right for me

i live in south east michigan, and would like to purchase an alt energy system. i would like to run on alt energy with grid power as backup only (through a battery charger or ? i'm not sure). i have an outdoor wood boiler that has two circulating pumps and a damper door solenoid with a continous load of 2.8 amps @ 120 volts. the pumps run continously only shutting down for maintenace or replacement. the solenoid is intermittent as the water temperature drops below a fixed set point the solenoid is energized and the damper door is opened when the water reaches it's high set point the solenoid deenergizes and the damper door closes. this operation runs all year long. 

7 Posts
Jun 7, 2007 10:53 am
Re: what alt energy source is right for me

Hi James,

It sounds like you are looking for a solar electric (PV) or wind system with batteries and a utility intertied inverter.  The premise being that energy is stored in the batteries.  If more energy is produced than used, it goes back into the grid.  If you use more energy than you produce, then the grid supplies you energy.  If the power goes out, you draw power from your batteries.

All that being said, you have a very large load to power!  Any time you use the words 'continuous usage,' it's going to add up to a lot of energy.  My understanding is that your 120 VAC circulating pump draws 2.8 amps.  That's 336 watts continuous.  (120 x 2.8 = 336).  If the pump runs for 24 hours, that's 8064 watthours per day (8 kwh).  If you choose to use PV power, in Michigan, your insolation (good sun hours) are about 5.5 in the summer and closer to 2 hours in the winter.  Which means to power that pump alone, you would need more than 1500 watts of solar electric modules to power it in the summer.  Probably close to 3 times that amount to provide power in the winter. 

So...one option is to find out if you have a good site for wind - better than 10 mph average wind is what you are looking for, and you'll need to have a tower 30' higher than any obstruction within 300' of the turbine.  You will likely need about 1/2 an acre of space to accommodate a turbine and guyed tower.  Another option is to see if their is a DC powered circulating pump you can use that would draw significantly less energy.  A more efficient pump would allow you to use less solar modules to power it. 

Finally, if you haven't already, check out our "Learn" section to read more about each technology.  There is a good article about determining the right RE source for you.
http://howto.altenergystore.com/The-Basics/c10/
I hope this helps!

The Alternative Energy Store
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altenergystore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 ext. 108  or +1.978.562.5858 ext. 108
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Jun 22, 2007 01:50 pm
Re: what alt energy source is right for me

To give you some idea of cost, save your electric bills for a year, multiply that total by 40. That total would be approximately what you would pay for an off grid RE system.
Of course this an approximation but it will give you some idea. The more electricity you can live without the less you will have to pay for, either way! The cost will be approximately the same, RE or grid, you just pay for one all up front while the other you pay for each month for the rest of your life.

A one world economy is looming on the horizon of this worlds future. World banks are already controlling the nations of the Earth. Even the United States of America.
As Americans we have a civic duty to uphold the Constitution of United States of America. Or we could just abandoned it like the U.S. Government is doing. The U.S. Government is a servant to the American nation, not its ruler.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!