Solar shingles project? Help/advice please

1 Posts
Apr 5, 2007 04:03 pm
Solar shingles project? Help/advice please

Hi friends,

I am a member of a co-operative housing corporation in Providence, Rhode Island -- located in a fairly expensive neighborhood (tax-wise) and somewhat struggling to form a sustainable long-term financial plan.  We own 2 buildings on Providence's East side -- one of which needs to be re-roofed.

We're totally disorganized, so I am researching this idea alone in the hopes that it can make a difference, but considering our just-scraping-by financial situation, the idea of combining our re-roofing with establishing solar power is extremely appealing. 

What I don't know, however, is the financial feasibility of such a move.  How much would a solar re-roofing compare to a regular re-roofing, in terms of total cost?  I'm vaguely aware of tax breaks, and those are certianly a factor, as would be the energy savings (and potential ability to sell power back to Narragansett Electric).  But because we are strapped for cash, if the cost is much beyond the original re-roofing, I may have a harder time talking folks into going with this idea.

So: can anyone give me some advice?  Or links to resources that would help me pin down the specific costs/benefits of doing this solar shingling?  I would appreciate it greatly.  Thank you.

Tim

18 Posts
Apr 5, 2007 05:53 pm
Re: Solar shingles project? Help/advice please

Tim,

Good news and bad news. The good, you are on the right path. Having that said, here is the bad. I've seen and read on solar shingles (uni-solar, the actually shingle looking panels), and in the end, they are more of a losing battle. Unfortunately your area, about the same as mine, doesn't get a lot of solar radiation. If you on purpose or accidentally chose to use amorphous silicon, i don't know, but its a good choice in areas with less total irradiation. the main problem with the solar shingles is that they are expensive! (not that much else isn't) but at $7.33 a watt, and only for the panel, that already makes it less feasible. For as gorgeous and well made as they are, they just don't make sense. I do not know much about the Sharp 62W panels, but from the look, they're quite similar to the uni-solar shingles. the panels that i do like however, are another uni-solar product, their roof laminate. the only drawback to these laminates are that they require a 15.5" wide metal sheeting on the roof. but i like the wide sheets better than the shingles, personal opinion.

Now onto the cost, as with all RE endeavors, the monetary payback is not immediate or even soon. over 20 years, in the better of locations. now this of course can be affected by incentives, special loans, and other tax breaks, and of course, a reduced energy bill and possible selling back extra power to the grid. If your so inclined as to the actual energy payback, its only around 2 years w/ uni-solar products.

Finally, if your association is cash-strapped, this may not be feasible. not to discourage you at all, but money is fortunately your biggest enemy. one thing to consider doing, is to maybe go with a roof structure that could be built upon in the future, using solar PV panels to generate electricity. if this is more appealing, then i recommend the 15.5" metal sheeting, and the hope of adding to it later. If you could do it, I'd try to convince those in your neighborhood of ALL of the benefits of such a system, even a small one (less than a kW). once installed, it can always be added upon(except for certain inverters), and expanded once the money is available, and such structure would have electricity whenever the sun was shining.

I hope i have been of some help as far as advice and not so much on the #'s end of it. whatever you decide, do so with confidence and support RE wherever possible.

Ian Williams

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!