Evergreen Solar EC115 for sailboat

6 Posts
Dec 10, 2006 06:58 pm
Evergreen Solar EC115 for sailboat

Thinking about purchasing this, the special which includes the regulator.  https://store.altenergystore.com/Solar-Electric-Panels/100-to-149-Watts-Solar-Panels/Buy-Two-Evergreen-Solar-115W-Solar-Panels-Get-a-Phocos-Charge-C/p4456/

I have very little knowledge about solar power systems and need some help here.  This is for use on a sailboat.  I have 450 amp hour deep cycle flooded batteries.  I realize this won't meet all my energy requirements.

Questions:
Is this all I will need for a solar charger for my batteries (not counting wiring, screws, etc.)?

Can the panel be used in a marine environment?

Can the charger be located remotely (2 meters) from the panel (gets it out of the marine environment)?

Anything else I need to know?

578 Posts
Dec 11, 2006 12:16 pm
Re: Evergreen Solar EC115 for sailboat

Evergreen Modules are great, but they have a couple things that will not make them ideal for a sailboat.  first, they have no specific marine rating, unlike a kyocera.  Second they do not tolerate shading very well, unlike a unisolar. 

For sailboat situations, we usually suggest a kyocera or a unisolar.  Many have used evergreen modules on sailboats with no problems, the choice is yours.

Regarding the controller, it is important to know that it is a positive ground unit.  Here in the united states, the negative is usally the grounded conducter.  Especially on boats and RVs , positive ground can cause problems if grounding is necessary.

from phocos manual - "Be aware that the positive terminals of the CX controller are connected internally and therefore have the same electrical potential.  If any grounding is required, always do this on the positive wires."

"Remark - If the CX is used in a vehicle which has the battery negative on the chassis, loads and solar panels connected to the regulator must not have an electric connection to the car body.  Otherwise the overcharge protection, the low voltage disconnect and the electronic fuse function of the controller is short-circuited."

You should move the controller away from the modules to get them out of the outside environment; 2 meters is fine, move it farther if you need to as long as wire is sized correctly.  Lastly, you may want disconnects between your solar and controller and controller and battery(s).  Inexpensive solutions could run about $60.

- james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

351 Posts
Dec 11, 2006 02:52 pm

On most boats, the negative ground 12V system and the bonding system (designed to prevent electrolysis) meet at the engine block. If I was attempting to tie a positive ground system in, I would want a disconnect in the negative from the battery to the engine. I would not want the  positive potential on the bonding system.

The wiring problems would also be exacerbated by the presence of a shore power charger (hard wired) or an onboard generator.

I haven't thought all the potential problems and interfaces though. It could be done, particularly for a boat with a simple system. But I think I would just ask James to recommend a negative gound controller, and eliminate the headaches.

Ken

6 Posts
Dec 19, 2006 04:47 am

Ken...that's exactly what I'll do.  No sense messing with having bought the wrong controller.

What unit of rating do I use to judge a panels effective output for shading?  Is there a figure of merit for this?

What would be the difference between a Kyocera 130 watt module and a Unisolar module if the panel is 10% shaded?  45 degrees pointed away from the sun?  How is this measured?
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2006 04:49 am by Robert Jackson »

351 Posts
Dec 20, 2006 03:54 pm

Robert:
Here is a link that will explain panel shading.
http://howto.altenergystore.com/The-Basics/Solar-Electric-Panels-Overview/a36/p2/

I do not generally worry about one panel being more shade tolerant than another. I take the attitude that shading is bad for all panels and think you should do everything possible to avoid it. As an example, if shading one cell results in a 50% drop in production with one panel, and another panel has a 45% reduction, do you worry about the 5% difference? Or do you say that I am going to avoid the drop, period, whether it is 45% or 50%. I treat periods of partial shade as zero panel output, and then am pleasantly surprised if I actually got something.

I tend to take the same approach to panel aiming. The variance between panels is usually less important than your location (Lattitude/hours full sun). At 38 degrees North (San Francisco Bay), laying a panel flat would cost you about 15% of the panels production on an annual basis. So, having a fixed tilt would save that loss. Being off 45 degrees from true south would result in about a 10% loss, annually. (Note, these figures would vary for a person that would only use their boat for the summer months.)

If the panel mounting is adjustable for both tilt and azimuth, you can actually pickup similar percentages. AS an example, aiming a panel with a fixed tilt, SE in the morning, S midday, and SW in the afternoon, might pickup about 10% over a fixed south panel. And, if you are laying around the boat in an anchorage, it is not that hard to adjust a couple of times of day. Similarly, being able to adjust tilt late in the afternoon can capture a few more watts, if you pull into an anchorage later in the day.

Ken

11 Posts
Dec 20, 2006 07:16 pm

Evergreen..........I also have the same PV panel, originally used a standard type charge controller then switched to the MPPT type controller and..WHAT a difference...batteries charge faster....it's the way to go.....good luck.

11 Posts
Dec 28, 2006 05:42 pm

Also should be noted, In the US, ABYC standards mandate NEGATIVE GROUND systems only.

578 Posts
Dec 29, 2006 10:44 am

Great,

What does ABYC stand for?

It should be noted that currently all phocos controllers are positive ground units, for those shopping for vehicle/boat applications where that may cause trouble.

They will be coming out with standard US spec negative ground units in 2007.  We'll keep you posted.

-james  -Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

351 Posts
Dec 29, 2006 01:34 pm

James

The ABYC is the American Boat & Yacht Council

Among other things, They develope consensus safety standards for the design, construction, equipage, maintenance, and repair of small craft.

Their standards are really good ideas, but the statement that they "mandate negative ground systems" is an over statement. They have no legal position to mandate anything.

The real mandates are

The United States Coast Guard. Title 33, CFR 183 which contains mandatory requirements for electrical systems on boats.

NFPA 302, Fire Protection Standard for Pleasure and Commercial Motor Craft. This standard is approved by the American National Standards Institute and is applicable to motorboat installations.

That being said, I think that there are some real safety issues with mixing the two different polarity systems on a boat, or in an RV. Sooner or later someone, somewhere, will inadvertantly cross the systems.

Ken

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2006 02:08 pm by ken hall »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!