I want to buy a small scale solar panel for my house? please help

1 Posts
Nov 17, 2004 01:22 pm
I want to buy a small scale solar panel for my house? please help

what would i buy and is it that hard to hook up to my house.  I want to buy a small solar panel and mount it in my back yard.  i live in a big city.  how would i hook it up to my house and what size solar panel would i get.  THANKS SO MUCH

Nov 20, 2004 03:30 pm
Re: I want to buy a small scale solar panel for my house? please help

Start by thinking of what you want to do with that power first. Then figure how much power you will need. Turn it into watthours. Then determine how many hours of equivilent full rated power you can get from the Sun in your region. Example-
Lets say you want to power 3- 100 watt bulbs for 6 hours. This would be 1800 watthours.
Now lets say that in your region on the shortest day (dec. 21) a PV module will recieve 3 hours of equivilent full rated power.
Now we divide 1800 by 3 and we get 600. That would be a 600 watt PV array in full unshaded sunshine from at least 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and perpendicular to the Sun at noon time on the shortest day.
None of this takes into account the battery storge or inverters to make 120 vac from the low voltage dc that the PV modules.
One of the best investments I feel that I made when we decided to go solar was a subscription to HomePower magazine. The reader gets to see various systems installed as well as rendered schematics and he or she becomes familar with phrases and terminologies and what they mean by reading the articles and reports and all.  

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!