problems with onan microquiet lp generator

Oct 25, 2004 11:23 am
problems with onan microquiet lp generator

I recently purchased an onan microquiet 3600 watt generator.  I have a trace 1500w inverter with battery charger.  My system is 12 volt.  When I start up the generator and it is connected to the inverter, the generator shuts off...says cannot sense output voltage.

462 Posts
Oct 27, 2004 10:21 am
Re: problems with onan microquiet lp generator

Steve, what voltage is coming out of the generator?

Oct 31, 2004 01:23 am

Don't know that much about the Onan microquite 3600 watt generator but it sounds like it has some sort of fuel miser gizmo on it, but instead going to idel when there ain't no load, it shuts down. Damn nussance I'd say, get rid of it, save even more fuel.

Oct 31, 2004 08:16 am

>Steve, what voltage is coming out of
>the generator?

I don't get a chance to measure voltage.  As soon as the inverter senses the current, the generator shuts down.  I have it set up so I can plug the generator into the inverter or my ac panel.  I used to have a winco mulitfuel 5k generator set up the same way.  Once the inverter senses the generator, the gen power runs through my ac panel and an onboard battery charger in the inverter is activated.  

Oct 31, 2004 03:03 pm

Could be that both the gen set and the inverter have there nuetrals bonded to ground, confusing the micro processor into a ground fault situation. If this is the case it would be easier to isolate the bond at the gen set because if I am not mistaken on the DR1512 it is bonded internally. Consult both Trace and Onan to be sure. There could be a list of other problems here.

462 Posts
Nov 2, 2004 03:29 pm

Steve, does the generator have an AC output?... must be if you can put the generator current directly into your ac panel. Does the inverter take a DC current and convert it to AC? ....you may also want to check whatever device it is, on the inverter, that switches to send power to the ac panel, diverting power, and switches on the battery charger on the inverter once the required input limit is reached....

462 Posts
Nov 2, 2004 03:32 pm

...you also mention that you have it set up for input to the inverter OR the panel...did your original setup have all three connected? gen-ac panel and inverter?....

Nov 10, 2004 10:37 am

the way the trace inverter is setup, you hardwire the ac output of the generator into the inverter. Then another wire goes directly to the ac panel and 2 heavy duty wires go to a fuse box and to my batteries.  I received another email suggesting a common ground of inverter and generator causing a ground fault?

Nov 10, 2004 10:42 am

the only ground on the generator is the ground from the ac output wire.  and yes, they both eventually reach the same ground.  should I remove the ac output ground?

462 Posts
Nov 11, 2004 11:38 am

....sounds like a switching problem in the inverter ..open it up and check and see if there is a fried relay in there somewhere....should be hooked up to the AC input and AC output wires and another set of switches for the AC to DC transformer......

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!