What type of generator

5 Posts
May 17, 2004 07:02 am
What type of generator

I'm planning on building an off-grid house in two years.  I plan to use a solar/wind combo with a propane generator for those periods where the system can't produce enought power.  I'd like to buy a generator, now, for occassional use, that I can move to the new house when it's built. Someone had  suggested that I get a liquid-cooled generator instead of an air-cooled generator since it might be running continously for extended periods.  The person who told me this said the air-cooled ones weren't intended to run for extended periods of time (days ?).  Is there any truth to this?  Since it might run for extended periods in the middle of the winter (in Canada), is the type of cooling really important when it's sub-zero outside?  Thx.

1 Posts
May 20, 2004 07:22 pm
Re: What type of generator

Are you going to have batteries at all?  We are thinking of getting a propane generator and have a small battery pack so the generator will only run for an hour or two a day.  There are generator controllers available that will automatically start and stop a generator depending on what your battery pack voltage is.  Over the long run its cheaper and more pleasant not to run a generator 24/7, liquid cooled or air cooled.  I'd guess for ultimate durability a liquid cooled diesel generator would be best but also the most $$$.  
We are debating going with a guardian LP generator or just getting cheap gasoline ones and plan on replacing them more often.

5 Posts
May 23, 2004 02:03 pm
Re: What type of generator

Yes, we will have batteries.  The plan is to size the system so that the batteries could provide the power needs for four days.  In Dec/Jan when the solar gain is low, the batteries may run down (if there's also little/no wind).  In that case the generator may have to run for extended periods.  I can't imagine it running for more than a day in the worst case.  So, would the extra cost of the liquid-cooled worth it in that scenario, or would an air-cooled to the trick?  The generator will run on LP.

Thanks for the reply.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!