Tilt Rotor AR-10 Wind Turbine PPT

16 Posts
Oct 16, 2008 08:45 pm
Tilt Rotor AR-10 Wind Turbine PPT

Hello Everyone,
Here is a link to a marketing presentation that was put together for a trade show in Las Vegas last week.  Hopefully it will shed some more light on the design. [Note: On my browser, I had to start most of the videos using the link at the bottom of the pages.]

http://cpmach.com/ar10.htm

I'm not too happy about all the "guns 'n' ammo" -type references that come up when you Google "Blackhawk AR-10", so we might start calling it the "Tilt Rotor AR-10".

Remember - we're still testing and tuning.  I didn't write the presentation, so don't take it all as gospel.  But we are starting to have some initial enquiries from potential Beta test site customers and distributors, strictly from word of mouth.  Despite the trade show stuff, we really feel more comfortable working at the "grass roots" level.

Hope you enjoy the show. Feedback welcome.

Cheers,
Bruce

Caveat:  The "Tilt Rotor" concept, in numerous variations, is Patent Pending. [See USPTO published applications "Boatner VAWT".] There is enough information disclosed in this presentation and in the patent application for a knowledgeable person to copy this design.

We are working very hard to develop a novel, reliable and cost-effective product built in the U.S.A.  However, based on previous experiences of companies (mostly Chinese) stealing Intellectual Property, I felt it necessary to license this design to an entity with a sizeable legal department and extensive experience defending I.P. internationally.  Please don't give them an opportunity to do what they do best! Wink
~bb

220 Posts
Oct 18, 2008 08:01 pm
Re: Tilt Rotor AR-10 Wind Turbine PPT

hello bruce,

i really enjoyed that powerpoint presentation the I.T. guys put together. lots of close up shots of the progression of the project..never knew what PPT stood for till now. i had some trouble with the video clips. i expected as much because i am still using dial up. but i'll check it out again with a faster connection later.

after visiting the cpm site i went over to the patent office thinking i would have a quick look at your application. well four and a half hours latter my head is spinning and my eyes hurt. that's some tough reading! but well worth it. i think it might have been easier with several pc's running to cross reference between "said claims" and drawings. i was taken by surprise by illustration fig.12.(full furling) i never would have imagined that range of motion! in the real world we would probably never see a full furl and it would settle somewhere in between? also interesting to see that the rotation can be in any direction, and the pitch control rods can be above or below the rotor. neat also is that you can have top converging/bottom diverging or top diverging and bottom converging configurations. that would be handy if installed under a high bridge or the like.

i've totally enjoyed the evolution of the prototype that can be seen in just the few photos that i've seen. i believe we see at least three different generations of rotor tilt limiters/dampers in the photo shots. i bet now there are a lot of pictures you wish you had taken.

overall, a real fine job and a real treat to see.

thanks soo much for giving us an inside look into a fascinating project.

all the best, dave

ps. did i also read that you did all the drawings? WOW!

added 10/19..i see now that fig 12 is referring to the huge scaled version (ar-800) for startup and stopping. thats 80 times the size of the prototype machine!?
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2008 02:35 pm by david ames »

16 Posts
Oct 19, 2008 05:43 pm

David,
Thanks again for the kind words.  Those patent applications do have a tendency to grow!  Lots of legal boilerplate in there, trying to cover all the bases.  The best way I've found to navigate such things is to read the introduction and overview, then jump to the diagrams.  When something needs more explanation in a drawing, I search for the paragraph that describes that diagram.  Otherwise it's some pretty tough sledding!

Not sure where the specific scaling ratio came from.  Basically it could be as big as you wanted it.  The furling mechanism would add quite a bit of complexity, but I wanted to show how it could be accomplished.  On the smaller units (up to 5KW), we're going to make the airfoils inexpensive and easy to replace.  However, if a huge one of these was built, you'd probably want to guarantee that it would survive any storm without wing damage - thus the furling.

Right about the dampener evolution.  We've currently settled on a set of elastomeric EPDM dampeners - simple, inexpensive, robust, UV-proof and not affected much by temperature.  There is redundancy built in, and they would probably last a couple of years without maintenance.  Also the ideal geometry/placement of the dampeners took some time to work out.

I did all the drawings with TurboCAD.  It's got a few bugs, but for $129 it's hard to beat.  I've upgraded to TurboCAD Pro now, but those drawings were done in the standard edition.  My patent attorney added the hand-written number & lettering.  He also modified Fig. 8 for the generator on the ground.  It would never work as the figure shows due to lack of support, but it illustrates the idea OK, so I left it in.

Cheers,
Bruce

1 Posts
Dec 2, 2008 05:14 pm

Hello Bruce,

I am very curious about your Tilt Rotor - Wind Turbine.  On a local news station they mentioned that you and Dave Robinson were looking for test sites in Washington State.  Well I have one for your consideration if you are interested.  We live in a very wind rich area near Cle Elum and Ellensburg, Washington.  In fact this time next year we will be living within a half mile of a Wind Farm.  Horizon's KVWPP effort.  I would be open to further discussion using part of my 32 acre hilltop parcel for testing as your time an interest allow.

Sincerely,

Wayne Bell
509-857-2354

16 Posts
Dec 5, 2008 07:14 pm

(Contacted by phone)
~BB

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!