Battery Bank Configuration - Wiring

27 Posts
Jun 23, 2008 07:49 am
Battery Bank Configuration - Wiring

I have 12 x 110 Ah batteries @ 12 volt, I'm experience voltage drops with small loads on the inverter.

What is the best way to connect the batteries to be most efficient?

I have them connected 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12
Inverter cable 1 connects to battery 6 +&-)
Inverter cable 2 connects to battery 7(+&-)

I've researched on the net but cannot find any conclusive information on the best configuration.

Many thanks

Steve

76 Posts
Jun 23, 2008 11:24 am
Re: Battery Bank Configuration - Wiring

You have 12, 12v batteries?  It shouldn't matter which battery the inverter is wired to (since, technically, it's wired to all of them at once).  Are they all close together?  What guage wire are you using from battery to battery?  How far is the inverter away from the battery array?  What size wire are you using from battery pack to inverter?

What do you mean by connects to battery x (+ & -)?  If you have 12v batteries, and you're wired for 12v to the inverter, all (-) should be connected together and all (+) should be connected together, to maintain 12v.

[+ 12v INV -]
 |         |
 |         |
[+  bat 01 -]
 |         |
[+  bat 02 -]
 |         |
[+  bat 03 -]
 |         |
[+  bat 04 -]

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2008 11:25 am by Travis McMillian »

184 Posts
Jun 23, 2008 09:59 pm

With that many batteries, I would connect each of them to a positive and a negative bus bar.  Then run wires from each of the bus bars to the inverter. 

The bus bars I use are actually grounding bars for circuit breaker boxes.  I got them for about $5 each from a hardware store.

Keep all wires as short as possible, and use heavy guage wire.

If you still want to connect the inverter directly to the batteries though, you should connect the plus wire to battery 1, and the negative wire to battery 12. Then each battery has the same amount of jumpers between it and the inverter. Draw this out if you're not sure what I'm talking about. 

John

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2008 10:04 pm by John Dalhaus »

27 Posts
Jun 24, 2008 03:41 am

Thanks for your replies...

Travis - Looking here http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html your suggestion is not the best configuration as the numbers show, this apparently is the most common mistake when it comes to connecting batteries.

I'm still trying to find the best most balanced method of connecting batteries, looking at the data provided in the above link, connecting a small number into a bank and connecting the inverter to the first and last batteries would be the most efficient. However, the article goes on to say this is not the case for 8 or more batteries...

The problem I haven't been able to find another site or method that confirms what is the best. The search goes on...
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2008 06:17 am by Steve Miller »

27 Posts
Jun 24, 2008 03:51 am

John/Travis
The bus bar method was mentioned in the article http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html well sort of, it mentioned connecting each battery or group of 4 and on to the inverter.

The bus bar option I like, however, how do I keep the wires short and all 12 of them to the same connection point?

I have the batteries in a vertical rack with 3 batteries on each of 4 shelves.

I think this is going the right way, just need to resolve the above question.

By the way, the article is interesting and is worth a read!

Many thanks

Steve

184 Posts
Jun 24, 2008 09:31 am

Steve,

As I said, and as the article confirms, connecting all batteries to common bus-bars is your best option.  You're going to have some resistance no matter what you do, but at least with the bus-bar method you'll have balance, and few interconnections between each battery and the inverter. The fewer the interconnections, the less resistance.

You can use a good quality digital voltmeter to check for problems at every connection point.  Check each connection point while the inverter is heavily loaded. 

John

27 Posts
Jun 24, 2008 03:12 pm

Thanks again John, Yep it looks like the best option is going to be use the bus bar option. The problem I have now is how do I connect all the batteries to the inverter?

Specifically:

How do I keep all cables as short as possible?
How do I keep interconnections to a minimum?
Which metal has the lowest resistance (that is affordable)?

Help/suggestions would be appreciated

Steve

76 Posts
Jun 24, 2008 04:07 pm

I'd use a breaker box, like this one

http://store.altenergystore.com/Enclosures-Electrical-and-Safety/Electrical-Enclosures/Combiner-Boxes/Midnite-Solar-MNPV6-Combiner-Box/p4566/

It has a bar for common positive, and you can use breakers and / or DIN-rail-mount distribution blocks http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/114/gfx/small/6367tp1s.gif

The distribution blocks could even be used so you can combine each shelf from many smaller wires to two larger wires.

Using breakers would allow you to "shut off" part of the battery array for maintanance without losing power.  It's something I'll be doing in my off-grid garage soon.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2008 04:10 pm by Travis McMillian »

184 Posts
Jun 24, 2008 04:25 pm

Steve,

Travis has the right idea.  The box keeps all of the wires safely enclosed and out of sight.  On the other hand, I try to get by as cheap as possible.  I poked around in the electrical section of my local hardware store and found bus bars for about $5.00 each.  Each bar allows about 15 heavy guage wires to be attached to it via large set screws.  I mounted each of the bars on a piece of plexiglass (for insulation).

Important:  Use the heaviest guage wire you can from the bus bar to the inverter, and keep THOSE wires as short as possible.  Those wires will be passing the heaviest current.

To answer your other questions:  You'll just have to use heavy guage wire, and keep each one as short as possible. I believe copper would be best.  The bus-bar arangement limits the number of connection points, so that helps.  I bought some large copper crimp lugs from Wal-Mart and soldered the wire to them instead of crimping. 

John

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!