I was wondering what people thought about verticle wind turbines?

4 Posts
May 16, 2008 01:32 pm
I was wondering what people thought about verticle wind turbines?

I read an article published in a monthly farmer news paper about a very impresive, but relatively simple verticle wind turbine.  After reading the article I am interested to know what others think or if others are using such a turbine.

13 Posts
May 16, 2008 09:10 pm
Re: I was wondering what people thought about verticle wind turbines?

Hey Chris;

This is a regular debate.  There seems to be a general consensus in the wind-power community that says VAWT's are enough LESS powerful per Swept Area that it's preferable to just get a Horizontal.   I've got the parts mostly collected to make a vertical, and really want to see for myself.  I think there are some advantages that could offset the 'efficiency-deficiency', such as

1) simpler to construct (one bearing set, no detailed shaping),

2)takes wind from all directions, so doesn't have to reorient to new sources, missing the power in more turbulent situations (albeit turbulence is a yield-cost from the get-go)

3)less torque on tower structure (HAWT's turning into a new source gyroscopically crank on the Tower)

4) 'supposedly' can be set up to gain advantage of draft coming UP the sides of a roof, if in Rooftop mode..(generally advised against, at least with HAWTS, due to vibration on House frame, and maddening Noises inside)

5) Rotation speed is slower, so less noise, less danger to birds (?!), less wear on edges, less to break down.

Check out www.windside.com for a cool look at a commercial model from Finland, I think.

Bob Fiske

13 Posts
May 16, 2008 09:12 pm
Re: I was wondering what people thought about verticle wind turbines?

ps;  HAWT "Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine"
     VAWT "Vertical Axis Wind Turbine"

Bob

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!