Charging batteries

1 Posts
May 8, 2008 03:43 pm
Charging batteries

Hello,
I recently went live with my system and have a battery question. My system consists of 12 BPSX3200 modules wired 3 strings of 4 running to a FLEXmax 80 charge controller. The battery bank consists of 8 Trojan T-125 batteries at 48v. The inverter is a Xantrex 4048. I was using the RTS battery sensor and absorbing for 5 hours and the batteries never got to 100% according to sg readings. My hydrometer is a Freas with the thermometer so I am sure it is accurate. The batteries are only 2 months old and have been kept charged until the solar system was up.
 After charging yesterday the highest reading I got from 1 cell was 1.265 and the lowest cell was 1.240 so I equalized for 4 hours. This helped even out the sg but not enough to where they were within .005 of each other.
 I removed the temp sensor to charge today they are charging at a higher voltage and  the sg is rising a little faster. I don't want to overcharge them but am afraid they will be chronically under charged if they never get to 1.270 - 1.277 as per Trojan's web site. I emailed them about charging but they never respond. What would your advice be?

Thanks'
Tim K

18 Posts
May 12, 2008 03:13 pm
Re: Charging batteries

My vote is for the charge controller.  On my Solar Boost 50 there is a way to set the actual top voltage.  According to (for my L16H batteries) that top voltage should be about 14.8v (number given from inverter charger with Trojan setting).  I did not see any top or peak volt number given in your post.  But you should check the controller manual for adjustment of peak volts to trigger the trickle charge (batt voltage settles to 13.5v at trickle for me).  The charge controller should trigger bulk, absorb and trickle operation at voltage "set points".  Set the trigger voltage for your battery at 14.8v for a couple days and see if that fixes the problem.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!