Power Smart Pricing

184 Posts
Nov 30, 2007 10:26 am
Power Smart Pricing

My electric utility company now has a real-time pricing program, and I've just enrolled.  A new meter will be installed, allowing my electricity use to be monitored by time-of-day.  Instead of a flat rate for electricity, my rate will vary, depending upon demand.  I'll minimize my electricity use during peak demand times, and use more when rates are low.  I'll do laundry, for example, at night when rates are lowest. 

I'll use my PV system as much as possible when rates are high, typically during the day.  That also happens to be when the PV system operates most efficiently because it is not storing and retrieving energy from batteries. 

I welcome comments from others who are already enrolled in similar plans.

John

578 Posts
Nov 30, 2007 10:32 am
Re: Power Smart Pricing

those plans are great!  break out the timers, both ac and dc so that like you said, large ac loads happen at night and anything you can eek out of your solar happens during the day.  those types of plans only act as a multiplier to shorten pv payback.

james Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Dec 2, 2007 03:35 am

Wow! To think that, starting not much more than about 100 years ago and for thousands of years before that time, the people of Earth did not even know what a electric bill was. My, how we have grown.

184 Posts
Dec 3, 2007 11:28 pm

The new meter went in today.  It looks like "Gorilla Solar" is out of the question now.....

John

Dec 4, 2007 05:02 am

Thats great John D. Congratulations.
I know my first reply was a bit sarcastic. I meant for it to be.
Sometimes I forget that its not as easy of a transition for some folks as it was for myself. You see, I lived off grid without any electricity whatsoever for over twenty years only recently utilizing photovoltaics. So maybe you can see that my criticism it not aimed at you personally. My philosophy in this matter is simple, The electric power utilities... Who needs em?

Have you every considered going off grid?
Where you are at John D., its at the edge.
Why not take that leap of faith?
Where you land will only be where millions of people have already been for thousands of years before us!

Just go to that main breaker or main fused disconnect, reach up, grab the toggle or handle firmly, and move it into the off position. It may not be easy. There will be the invisible forces of commerce pulling your hand back trying to stop you, but you have the spirits of your ancestors John D., for generations that go all the way back to the beginning of time itself. They can give you the strength and wisdom to overcome the powers of commerce that would enslave you to those behemoth generators spewing out its toxins into the air we breath, the water we drink, and the Earth we live off of.

578 Posts
Dec 4, 2007 11:27 am

hi tom,

i know you do some great posts, and i know where you are coming from. 

I am still a renter, and for folks with economic motivation as well as altruistic, the time of use metering systems are a step in the right direction.  the solar grid tie takes pressure off the grid while the cheaper rates make a further incentive for homes to even out the daily demand load for utilities. these programs make policy changes attractive to consumers, utilities, and policy makers.  these changes spur energy awareness that helps everyone and often leads to RE.

i would love to be off grid, i know i can do it, but it is a lifestyle change that not everyone is ready for.  all the small steps along the way for "normal" (or oblivious to RE) folks needed to be applauded to push the middle into better energy behaviour as well as move policy that way. btw, i dont mean to imply john d is oblivious although he may be normal, haha. (thanks for reporting on your meter)

cheers,

james Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

184 Posts
Dec 4, 2007 12:33 pm

Thanks Thomas,

I'd really like to go totally off-grid but my system is small.  I plan to add two or three panels a year and hope to go off-grid eventually.  If I want to keep my wife and kids, I'll have to stay grid-connected a little longer. My wife is supportive of my efforts, and is enthused about the new Power Save program.  She's already adjusting her laundry schedule, and is more aware of energy use.  These things are good practice for the conservation efforts we'll probably have to maintain once we do go off-grid.  The kids will both be in college in a couple of years, which will also help.  They don't yet share our enthusiasm for cutting our electricity usage. 

John

Dec 7, 2007 06:59 am

As long as you know John D. that my words are not an attack on you as some might be persuaded to believe.
But the whole electric power infrastructure (including RE,) well now, thats a different story alltogether.
As an example. One of the arguments that I have heard for using RE from the RE community is how "we are paying for our energy (IE; coal, oil, nuclear) out of more than one pocket."
If the cost of RE is so high that it means a civilian might have to rely on the government by way of tax incentives or just flat out welfare (in its many guises) in order to utilize RE at home, or that industrial and commercial corporations can get government funding for large RE projects, and even the RE industry getting government funding for R&D, then being a tax payer in the USA and a utilizer of RE technology, am I not paying for RE out of more than one pocket as well?

James C., I realize that this bulletin board is for the promotion of RE. That we would all like to keep an "upbeat" fervor regarding RE. But I refuse to believe the RE industry is an Innocent little lamb in this whole energy mix picture. By being persuaded to utilize clean RE in an attempt to save the planet (and for some, make a profit) might not the people of Earth be getting something of a subliminal message of sorts to keep consuming more and more energy (resources?) E=mc2 means, simply put, energy and mass, mass and energy are one in the same at the speed of light squared.

Prices speak louder than words.

Argueably, people from the not so distant past did not live as long. It could be said that they paid a high price by not having the energy technology we take for granted in our present time. But it would appear that it is the Earth that is paying the price now. If one takes a look at the time line of when energy use become utilize by the mass's and the population explosion starting only 100 years ago we can see the correlation. All of this energy we take for granted today is little more than a raft on the open sea and that raft is becoming grossly overloaded.

I fear that we humans have forgotten the value of sacrifice. We look back at people from the past and learn sacrifice to be the death of ones best livestock or a virgin to appease some God or another when it could be that all we have to do in our time on Earth is to turn off a switch or push a stop button.

184 Posts
Dec 7, 2007 09:59 am

Paying $5 per watt for PV (just the panels) when I could be purchasing electricity for less than ten cents per kwh IS as sacrifice.  Buying expensive equipment, installing it, maintaining batteries, and monitoring the system are just a few of the tasks I'm willing to do.  By doing so I am not just helping to reduce global warming, I'm also preserving fossil fuels for future generations.  I also have a backup system for times when the grid is down.  In other words, being as self-sufficient as possible is important to me.  Should a natural disaster occur in my area, you probably won't see me on TV begging for help (as you saw in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina).   

John

Dec 9, 2007 02:27 pm

Its been written that the overall cost of providing electricity via PV to an offgrid home is comparable to the cost of living on grid over a lifetime. Of course even in this there are variables such as how remote the home is or how much it would cost to extend the utilities to the home from the grid. What about large loads such as; pumping water, heating that water, cooking, refrigeration, heating the home, cooling the home. It can get tricky to say the least.
 Luckily we do not have to invent the means to have these things without all of the energy we use today. All we have to do is look back at how our predecessors lived. Of course the biggest obstacle there is in the fact that worldwide there are 6.7 billion people now, needing those samethings and those old ways just will not work on that scale. Or will they?

General George Washington lead the Continental Army to war, so that America could have its independence from Great Brittan (King Georges tyranny). Did Gen. George Washington have all of this energy we take for granted today at his disposal? I think not, and yet here we are today dependent on other nations for energy. Dependent on energy.

When I read the words energy independence I relate this to being independent from energy. Not independent from one nation or another that is providing us with their energy resources.

I do not consider myself a "George Washington" of energy independence. If there is such as person I would gladly stand at his side though.

I will say it here and now. If the people of this American nation want to be independent of the other nations of this world for their supplied energy. Then the people of this American nation will need to be independent of supplied energy both foreign and domestic. If there is an enemy in this, its our own selfish desires for energy.

Where there is a will there is a way.   

184 Posts
Dec 10, 2007 10:05 am

Quote:  "If there is an enemy in this, its our own selfish desires for energy."

Thomas,

I don’t think it is selfish to desire energy.  Maintaining a comfortable temperature in our homes helps keep us healthy.  It takes energy to prepare food and keep it fresh.  Our children are better educated because they live and go to school in comfortable and well-lit surroundings.  I agree that we should strive to be free of foreign and domestic energy sources if that energy comes from burning fossil fuels.  Those things, after all, contribute to global warming, and supplies are not infinite.  I’m not a fan of nuclear energy either, given its problems.  For these reasons, I embrace renewable energy.  And yes, I know that it takes energy to produce solar panels, but it is better to do that than it is to just burn fossil fuels and end up with nothing.  Another thing to consider is that unless we want to live like cave men, we will never be independent.  After all, I can’t make a solar panel, or a decent battery, etc.  I’ll try to use as little fossil fuels as possible, and avoid sending money to foreign countries that want to harm us, but at the same time I'll try to maintain a comfortable home.  I don't feel selfish or guilty for doing that.

John

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!