Trying to find a car I read about, but I have a bad memory.

6 Posts
Sep 30, 2007 10:17 pm
Trying to find a car I read about, but I have a bad memory.

Okay, this question isn't about renewable energy, but it does involve the 'Save the Planet' concept, so I'm hoping people won't be too upset.

I read about a car in a magazine a while back.  It had a "normal" gas-powered engine, but was only about 8 feet long and got about 70MPG when driven the way car manufacturers test their cars.  Not a lot of information, I know, but I'm hoping it's enough for people to help me track down the car.

The guy and his girlfriend made a multi-day trip across a portion of the United States, then wrote an article for a magazine.  I'm certain I have a subscription to that magazine, yet I don't know which magazine it is.  In the order of magazines I think are most likely to have the article to mag that I think is least likely to have the article, they are...

Popular Mechanics
Popular Science
Wired
Discover

I don't necessarily need the precise article, if you want to guess, or know of another car whose gas mileage is based on small size and/or low weight for volume, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm about to peruse the site.  I figured my question was off-topic to the point where the answer probably wouldn't already be here, but if I happen to find it, or something similar, I'll save people the trouble and come back to this thread. Smiley

163 Posts
Oct 1, 2007 11:02 am
Re: Trying to find a car I read about, but I have a bad memory.

I read about a car in a magazine a while back.  It had a "normal" gas-powered engine, but was only about 8 feet long and got about 70MPG when driven the way car manufacturers test their cars.  Not a lot of information, I know, but I'm hoping it's enough for people to help me track down the car.

It was probably a SMART car made in Europe by Daimler-Chrysler. Introduction to the US has been delayed and the engine will be larger and thus a lower mpg.
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/

If that's not the one then you might find something here.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/

I use that site to keep track of developments in battery technology, but more than likely they would have mentioned the event that you described.

John

578 Posts
Oct 1, 2007 05:25 pm

smart cars are relatively common in europe.

the have catchy names like fortwo (for two people) and fourfour (for four people)  they are mainly popular in large cities like rome, paris, munich.

now that the daimler chrysler experiment is over, who knows if it will ever make it here, and who will sign on as dealers.

here is a link with review and pic.

http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/autoreviews/index.cfm?id=25541

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

6 Posts
Oct 1, 2007 06:22 pm

I haven't checked the links in the first reply, but I definitely intend to. Smiley

The second reply got it dead on.  The article claims that people who like this car are into European stuff, which I'm not so sure about.  The reason I like this car has nothing to do with nationality.

Adding hybrid engines to normal American cars is bogus, the manufacturers ought to be ashamed of themselves.  They need to work on cars that are smaller and lighter.  It's horrible that the one car I managed to find that fits my values is only made in Europe.

We need to invest in ways to make alternative energy, but in the meantime, becoming more efficient is incredibly important in the short term.

578 Posts
Oct 2, 2007 10:24 am

well the points that i took away from it are somewhat valid.
clearly the reveiwer was not blown away.  that being said, the point of safety in a major collision is pretty true, yet people ride motorcycles all the time, it is based on perspective and perceived needs.  it is not a volvo wagon, but if you dont need a volvo wagon then great.  the fuel economy is not the greatest in comparison to the vw tdi models and the honda and toyota hybrids.  yes there are now hybrids with big engines and electric engines.  and while that is a turn-off; with the growing trend being bigger and biggest engines, big with hybrid is a small step in the right direction that i think should be met with enthusiasm through our teeth (even for zealots like us) not derision.  normal folks hate the finger pointing act from our side of the fence.  I know from experience every time i harp on my family.

thanks for feedback and good post,
working here and squandering my money on my 84 vw turbo diesel coupe, I dont have the money for a new ride anyway, haha.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

1 Posts
Nov 7, 2007 04:02 pm

Does anyone knows about perendev car engines they shows in their web page? so good to be true ¿?
Thanks for any additional comment.
Raul...

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!