DSIRE site...trying to understand the science of it all...

3 Posts
Aug 28, 2007 05:01 pm
DSIRE site...trying to understand the science of it all...

Hey all,
First and foremost, I'd like to extend my appreciation and thanks for anyone taking the time out of their day to read and/or respond to this post.  I will try to be quick and to the point with the questions buzzing in my over-tired brain...

--to start--
as per DSIRE's site, NJ's limit on system size is 2MW, and as per the site...

-    New Jersey's net-metering rules and interconnection -standards apply to all residential and commercial systems -that generate electricity using solar technologies, wind, -fuel cells, geothermal technologies, wave or tidal action, -landfill gas, or sustainable biomass. The maximum -individual system capacity is two megawatts (MW). There is -no aggregate limit on net metering. Many supporters of -distributed generation believe that New Jersey has the best -standards for net metering in the United States. 
-
-A single metering arrangement is preferred. A -customer-generator receives credit at the utility's full -retail rate for each kilowatt-hour (kWh) generated. Net -excess generation (NEG) is carried over to the following -month as a kWh credit. At the end of an annualized period, -the utility must compensate the customer for any remaining -NEG credits at the utility's avoided-cost rate. 
-
-Customers eligible for net metering retain ownership of all -renewable-energy credits (RECs) associated with the -electricity they generate. Customers with photovoltaic (PV) -systems may apply to the New Jersey Board of Public -Utilities (BPU) to participate in New Jersey's Solar -Renewable Energy Certificates (S-RECs) program, which -tracks and verifies solar certificates, and allows the -certificates to be sold on-line to electric suppliers to -meet suppliers' solar renewable portfolio standard -requirements. 

--end of copy/paste stuff--

I'm looking to set up a hybrid PV/Wind system and, hopefully, generate some money from it...the more the better.  Yet, despite my research to date, I draw a blank on the math/science of it all...  I know kw x hours = kwh, but how does this translate into the NJ limit(or any state for that matter)?

What started this whole thing is a newspaper article I read a while back involving a person who is now generating a $200 paycheck on a monthly basis(not sure if this is 'average' or actual month to month).  My family is looking to move(or lose the home to Eminent Domain if we don't act quickly enough) and set something up where we(including a couple elderly with financially straining needs) can earn as much extra as possible...and this seems to be the way.  I've read up on different incentives ranging from REC's, rebates, etc. and while the initial cost is steep, the 'over-time' payout is what we're gambling on.

With that whole mess out of the way, the basic hope, and basis for the questions I've presented is...I'd like to figure out what I can do...

I know I come across as sounding ignorant(and I am) of a number of facts...which is why I'm hoping to be able to discuss some of these things with someone doing something somewhat similar to my eventual task(if possible) and glean some wisdom out of all this.

I'm sure I can go off spending a hundred grand or so setting up a field of this stuff and then find out that I over-did the whole thing, spent too much...or too little...went about it all wrong, etc.

So, to wrap this all up(and apologize for taking so much time up), anyone with the patience to deal with me(I'm not a complete idiot) and possibly illuminate the shady spots in my understanding...well...I already am most thankful you've reached this far...

Thank you all so much for your time.

Looking forward to your response(s),
Josh

578 Posts
Aug 28, 2007 05:31 pm
Re: DSIRE site...trying to understand the science of it all...

start from the top, what are your monthly loads in kWh/month?

second, next to nobody makes money on a grid tie setup.  most people invest thousands with 15 year paybacks because they want to.

with the kWh per month i can toss a ballpark # to you.  if you want to learn more, check out our classes or the photovoltaics  design and install manual.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

3 Posts
Aug 28, 2007 08:11 pm

this last month's average was shy of 1400kwh or 48kwh daily.  what will eventually become home 2.0, I imagine that even tho I may have some more draining electronics around, I will invest in the goods that will hopefully counter that a little ...florescent or LED lighting, (i've seen) solar water pumps, tankless water heaters, etc...end result...possibly an average of about 1500kwh monthly usage.

average in winter is 700kwh, but we are tied in with gas...so if a decent guess can be generated from an average hot summer month.  ...and i'm usually one to try and have extra in reserve if need be...

i guess thats about it for now.  gotta step out, but i will check on what you already have up and see what kinda stuff i can learn.

thanks for your time Smiley

-josh

18 Posts
Aug 28, 2007 10:01 pm

Josh,

I am a little curious as to was exactly is the bulk of your 48KWh a day? also, to remember that for every 1 dollar you spend on energy conservation, you save an average of 5 dollars on the cost of the pv system.

Its great to hear that your new home will incorporate LED's and the such, but keep in mind the simple rule stated above, and it may help in your decisions.

Ian

578 Posts
Aug 29, 2007 11:03 am

for 1400kwh per month, a system to not only meet your needs, but maybe produce more, you are looking at the $60-100k  ballpark. to give you a rough idea. 1400x1000 = 1400000 watt hours per month / 30 days = 47000 watt hours per day / 4 sun hours = (super rough estimate, no deration) 11.6 kw photovoltaic array.  11.6 x $4 per watt (generous) = $46,666 in solar alone.  before racks, inverters, combiners, wire, disconnects, shipping and installation.

very few individuals make money on grid tied systems, especially intitially.

i use 177 Kwh per month.  I am moving to a new house and will be documenting my energy efficiency changes on the forum and elsewhere.  i will leave the house alone for the first month, and then get after it as budget allows.  we can all go lower.  then you need less $olar.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

3 Posts
Aug 29, 2007 02:22 pm

Summer here has been pretty hot, so the air has been cranked most of the time.  This computer is always on, which will eventually not be the case.  We have lights that are always on as well as some 'ghost' drainage in the form of tv's(on or off), and the fact this house is 60+ years old makes for a marked increase in use of the AC/heating.

I've read up on different forms of heating and cooling and I'm hoping that some of the plans I've seen can be implemented.  I've been reading up at the local Borders book store on building more efficiently, greener, etc...as well as searching out as many alternatives as possible.  Its probably why I'm brain-swamped...too many concepts at once...

I know I'm probably never going to be near the 100% efficient mark, but thats normal stubbornness I guess.  The closer I can be, tho, the better.

As you've mentioned(and through my relatively random research) money spent toward using less energy can save so much more in the long run.  I'm looking into everything from the LED and/or florescent lighting I've mentioned earlier, induction cooktops(90% energy efficient compared to standard which is only 50-60% efficient), use of natural lighting whenever/wherever possible, better appliances either energystar certified or of equivalent quality, and, as mentioned earlier, more efficient methods of heating and air conditioning.  That's not going to be the end of it, but, instead, a beginning.

I'm even going to be doing most of the work on the house.  The more I do, the better.  I'm looking forward to it as I will be getting back to something I enjoy as well as having an opportunity to learn a whole lot more.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!