AGM batteries safe enought to have in the garage????

Aug 15, 2007 12:19 am
AGM batteries safe enought to have in the garage????

Are AGM batteries safe enought to have inside the garage???

18 Posts
Aug 15, 2007 09:44 am
Re: AGM batteries safe enought to have in the garage????

Yes, very much so.

AGM batteries, because they are a sealed battery, can be stored in any orientation. These batteries also have little risk of the release of large quantities of hydrogen gas, if they were to be damaged in such ways. The ones that release hydrogen are the flooded lead acid type batteries, but remember they only burp when you hurt them in some way (over charge, too hot)

Hope this helps,

Ian

578 Posts
Aug 15, 2007 03:49 pm

yes they are, but a proper battery box and perhaps active ventilation are generally good ideas.  keep them off of a cement floor and keep their temperature between 40 and 80 degrees F if you can.

james -Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Aug 15, 2007 11:28 pm

Thanks guys. 

I was wondering if this would work?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=91573-000000230-3725&lpage=none

578 Posts
Aug 16, 2007 10:35 am

sure, cut a hole and use a soffet vent in each side.  i have alo used the mondo igloo cooler in a pinch for a trailer system.  it held 4 t105, and we made a conduit fitting for flex raceway as well as adding the soffet vents.  coolers also work nice because they serve as insulation as well.  not the best solution, and not quite NEC, but way better and safer than nothing at all.

james Alt-E staff

AltE

1 Posts
Aug 16, 2007 10:14 pm

no no - the cement floor thing is left over from the days when batteries were leaky wood boxes and the fliud would leak out and creat continuity and drain the battery. forget the cement floor thing. in fact, it sorta makes a nice heat sink.

btw: i verified all this by leaving my 200ah mk agm's on my warehouse floor for 1/2 year.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2007 10:18 pm by what me »

578 Posts
Aug 17, 2007 10:58 am

good to know, i was not worried about the leaking but more of the temperature that you are talking about.  the cement floor in my chicago garage got colder than batteries would like to be in winter; i would think thereby reducing their capacity, no?  maybe
i'm wrong

james Alt-E staff

AltE

30 Posts
Aug 24, 2007 01:24 pm

Hi Guys - to answer the temperature question, as usual the answer is "it depends".  In a remote site we operate, an unheated but very well-insulated structure on top of a concrete slab houses, among other things, the AGM batteries to the system we operate.  This outpost is within a few miles of the Canadian border, and it gets very cold in the winter. However, the slab, being connected to the earth, actually keeps the interior of the structure fairly 'warm'. We continuously monitor internal temperature, and the coldest it got last year was +22F degrees inside (average daily temp outside was this time as around -5 to 0 degres F for long periods). We are using AGM batteries, they are not on the slab but it is the slab that is keeping the structure significantly above the outside temperature. We adjust the charge controller a couple times a year to account for average temperature in the structure. A better way would probably be to just use a battery temp sensor. In the case of putting the batteries in the garage, I suppose you need to consider if the average air temp in your garage is warmer than the slab temp. At any rate, keep the batteries charged and low temps aren't a problem (be sure to have low voltage disconnects on inverters, etc.).  Good luck -

Tom Hardy, PE
HVTA, Inc.
Allenstown, NH

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!