How many batteries will support it?

10 Posts
Mar 19, 2008 04:38 pm
How many batteries will support it?

Hi,

I had PVX-340T, 12v battery and I try to purchase two more PVX-420T hock-up them in parallel. My goal is to run a portable AC, which consumption is 1000watts, 3~4 hours every day in hot summer. Any body can help me calculated time frame on batteries capability?

Thanks.
Gary

578 Posts
Mar 19, 2008 05:18 pm
Re: How many batteries will support it?

do it like a loads list.  multiply battery amp hour capacity by its voltage to get watt-hours.  divide by your load (1000) to find how many hours til you wreck the batteries.  or, take your answer by half to find the number of hours to 50% where you wont wreck the batteries. 

air conditioners and batteries generally don't go in the same sentence, but lets see what the math says.

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

10 Posts
Mar 20, 2008 03:13 pm

James,

Follow by your instruction, I multiply three batteries AH and times 12V, than dividing 1000, the Quotient is 1.2, which is not matching what I plan to do.

If, my AC consumption is 1000Watts, run 4 hours, that would be 4000watts dividing 12v, the quotient is require AH = 334. So, I needed 10 of PVX-340T batteries to support it.

Do I need buy two PVX-890T or PVX-2120L batteries instead two PVX-420T?

Are there better solutions for hock-up a portable AC?

Thank you.
Gary
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008 03:50 pm by Gary Cheung »

163 Posts
Mar 20, 2008 04:37 pm

If, my AC consumption is 1000Watts, run 4 hours, that would be 4000watts dividing 12v, the quotient is require AH = 334. So, I needed 10 of PVX-340T batteries to support it.

10 batteries would only barely do the job and to completely discharge them would probably ruin the batteries after a few cycles. 24 batteries would give you a few years before you have to replace the batteries, but here are a few questions to ask yourself:

1. What are you going to use to recharge the batteries?
2. Why not use that power source to run the A/C?

Batteries are only about 70% efficient if you discharge them to 50% of capacity. That means that every time you suck 4 kilowatt hours from your battery bank, you will probably have to input 6 kilowatt hours from another source to completely recharge the batteries.

It would probably work out cheaper to run the A/C on a small portable generator.

If you want to use solar to power the A/C, then about 1000 watts of PV power is the minimum that you will require and that means you have nothing left over for anything else after running the A/C.

John

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!