inverter capacity calculation

28 Posts
Nov 7, 2007 07:09 am
inverter capacity calculation

Hi All,  (I'm new here)

I was looking at the inverter calculation on page,
http://store.altenergystore.com/calculators/on_grid_calculator/

and I can't seem to figure how they get from a monthly usage of 100 kW, avg sun hours of 4.13 to Watts needed = 969

There is some kind of loss factor in there.

Any ideas about what the Watts formula contains?
Thanks

578 Posts
Nov 7, 2007 07:06 pm
Re: inverter capacity calculation

those numbers are about right.  i have been meaning to freshen up the calculators, but i can barely get through my vm and email.

anyway,

you dont have monthly usage of 100kW;that does not make sense.  It may be 100kWh, and I will make that assumption for the numbers below.

969w of solar x 4.13 sun hours average = 4000 watt-hours or 4kwh production daily

4kWh x 30 days in a month = 120 kwh per month

20% deration for module performance, inverter efficiency, voltage drop, etc.  it is an estimator, but that is where the numbers come from.  in this case that is just about right.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

28 Posts
Nov 8, 2007 10:06 am

James,

Right, my numbers don't make sense and don't matter anyway, as its only the method used on the page (link) that I'm interested in clarifying.

As you have indicated, a 20% increase factor appears in the calculation, which I don't think was noted.  I was just making sure there wasn't another consideration that might have influenced that increase over the calculated value.

Thanks,
D. Adams

578 Posts
Nov 8, 2007 11:49 am

cool, no problem.

generally it is because of the tendency for modules to perform closer to ptc ratings, in the real world, which are typically 80% of STC as well as the other factors i mentioned.

thanks for the question and input,

james Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!