doing research

2 Posts
May 22, 2009 02:38 pm
doing research

I am a novice at this stuff and am looking for any advice out there. I live in Mexico, and may soon be living in a small village. I am looking for alternative ways to get electricity to the house because the closest light pole is several football fields away. Solar energy is out of the questions as we will be surrounded by pine trees. So, I'm looking at wind turbines. I'll start this discussion by laying out my needs. Here, in the city we use about 400 kWh every month. I basically just want the wind turbine dedicated to our pneumatic water pump to get water to the house. This pump would basically kick on about ever 2-3 minutes and is rated at 4 amps. Would this be possibility? And can turbines be placed on rooftops? Please excuse all the question, but I am just starting out in all this. Thank you.

184 Posts
May 22, 2009 02:45 pm
Re: doing research

I'm no expert, but wind turbines need to be quite a bit higher than the nearby trees in order to operate efficiently.  What is your budget? 

2 Posts
May 22, 2009 02:54 pm

Luckily, the branches of the pine trees aer way up there. The wind seems to pass pretty good through the forest below. To get anything above the pine trees would require a fan at a height of 80 - 100ft. I'm trying to keep the cost of a system below $2,000. All I'm looking at is something to give me 5 amps. 10 would be nice.

46 Posts
May 22, 2009 05:02 pm

Which is better, improperly sited wind jenny or solar panels in the shade? I got myself an air X and put it on a pole in a bad spot. Production? Zero. Even on a super windy day that was knocking down branches and blew open my front door (which doesn't always shut well anyway). General rule of thumb, put solar modules in the sun facing south and wind generators 30 ft. above anything within 200 ft. They like lots of "clean" air (very little to no turbulence). As for amperage, I think even one of these little air X generators would be pretty good. Putting a wind turbine on a house tends to be very loud. The building can be like a large resonating chamber.
If you do decide to go with a wind option, I would highly recommend either a 24v or 48v option. Wire sizes decrease substantially! Sorry if I just threw a wrench in your works.

May 23, 2009 11:03 am

Can you determine how much water is needed? How many gallons per 24 hours?
Is changing the water pump out of the question?
It would take a considerable investment at first but this pump lends itself to upgrades as time and money allow.
http://www.solar4power.com/solar-power-water-pump.html
Of course an elevated storage tank helps in these types of situations. They say this pump delivers 3 gallons per minute by hand from a hundred foot well. 20 minutes of pumping by hand should deliver in the vicinity of 60 gallons. 20 minutes 4 times a day = 240 gallons. Plus who ever is lucky enough to get to pump the water gets a nice little work out.
If pressure is an issue in the home a small low voltage dc pump can be added. Batteries and solar if its needed.
Just throwing out a few ideas. Without specifics such a gallons per day, any required pressure, I can't narrow it down any more than that.
Each foot of tank tower height adds 0.43 pounds per square inch of pressure. Keeping pipes as large as possible right up to the point of use helps with volume at low pressures.

When I started out, I was utilizing a pitcher pump on an 11 foot tower with several plastic 55 gallon corn syrup drums. (recycled from a nearby candy factory) This did allright fro a short while but as our family grew so did the pumping time. (it helps if your ambidextrous)
Now I utilize a 1,000 gallon tank on a 30 foot tower with 3 inch down pipe, reduced to 2 inch underground up to a "manifold" with several cutoffs where its all reduced to 3/4 inch just before going to various uses in our home being reduced at the last possible point to sinks, commodes, and showers. Same on the hot water supply.
 I had installed a new shower conversion valve once and it had a water saver feature. the water just dribbled out. Once I removed the plastic reducing disc though I couldn't tell the difference at the shower head from any other shower with a conventional water delivery system. Water is pumped up to the tank tower via Pacer pump with a Briggs&Stratton. Takes less than half a cup of petro to move about 800 gallons in less than 5 minutes.
http://www.pacerpumps.com/econoAg.php
I think if I had it to do all over again I would have went higher with the tower and used bigger main pipes but "beggars can't be choosers." A lot but not all of what was used for the construction of the whole system was reclaimed stuff.
http://www.tank-depot.com/browse.aspx?id=2
The tower is constructed similar to the old railroad water towers with four poles and lots of cross bracing.
http://marxtinplatetrains.com/img/water-tower.jpg
This is the closest tower I could find that resembles what I built.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!