Wiring a Breaker Box

Jun 7, 2008 03:24 pm
Wiring a Breaker Box

I'm setting up a small system and have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me out with.  I'll be setting up 2 Sharp 80W panels to start with an outback MX60 charge controller, an MK105Ah battery, and a Midnite MNPV3 breaker box.  I'm looking at the schematic from the Outback MX60 and am confused as it is showing a shunt between the negative of the battery bank and the negative terminal of the inverter.  In the schematic, the shut appears to be tied to the terminal bus bar, but it is not clear how.  The ground bus bar also appears to be tied to the DC negative bus bar.  Does this make sense?  I'm new to solar, so thank you to anyone that can help.

Steve

163 Posts
Jun 7, 2008 09:43 pm
Re: Wiring a Breaker Box

Stephen,

I don't know which diagram you are referring to, but all grounds, and hence negatives in a negative-ground system, have to be tied together.

A shunt is usually placed between the -ve of the battery and the rest of the -ve grounds, bus bars etc. so that you can accurately measure the current flowing into and out of the batteries using a Trimetric or similar battery monitor.

If you do not have a battery monitor then you can simply ignore the shunt.

Jun 15, 2008 09:27 am
Re: Wiring a Breaker Box

Thank you for you advice John.  I bought a Midnite Solar combiner box and hope to start wiring it up next weekend. 

I do plan on installing a Trimetric and now understand the purpose of the shunt.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!