Pole mounted Panels

27 Posts
Apr 14, 2008 12:00 pm
Pole mounted Panels

Hi
When pole mounting panels, is it best to mount them close together or leaving a space between each?

Also can I stick a small turbine on the same pole?

Quick question, I doubt it'll bring a quick answer...

Many thanks in advance

Steve
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2008 12:04 pm by Steve Miller »

76 Posts
Apr 14, 2008 03:44 pm
Re: Pole mounted Panels

I've thought of that combo mounting I think you're describing (putting solar panels on a pole with a wind generator), but the wind generator probably just won't be high enough to do any good.  Even if it "feels" windy on the ground, the wind just isn't stable enough to do any good and get the turbine spinning steadily enough to make electricity.

For my application (an off-grid garage), I ended up putting the wind generator thru the roof near the peak, and the solar panels on the roof and south-facing wall.

27 Posts
Apr 15, 2008 03:42 pm

Thanks Travis, was thinking that may be the case, but if I use a long pole, then it shouldn't be a problem, or would it still be but in other ways?

May be the vibaration from the turbine...

Steve

76 Posts
Apr 18, 2008 10:08 am

The 400w Air-X I have roof-mounted on my garage gets pushed around quite a bit in unstable strong winds (it's mounted with rubber isolators).  Depending on the size and rigidity of the pole (and it's length, of course), there might be movement concerns.  It just ended up being so easy to roof-mount everything, and more secure, I abandoned the idea of pole-mounting anything.  When I do the house, I might go back to that school of thought to see if it's practical, but we're a few years away from that.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!