Lighting Arrestor

18 Posts
Oct 16, 2006 11:35 am
Lighting Arrestor

I have a lighting arrestor to hook up to my wind mill. Can I mount it on and hook it up at the controller? it is about 300 feet from the unit.

462 Posts
Oct 20, 2006 05:59 pm
Re: Lighting Arrestor

Donald, the arrestor should be hooked up in your breaker box, in conjunction with the breaker switch, to catch any surge that may mess up the breaker.....

Nov 1, 2006 10:26 pm
Re: Lighting Arrestor

Donald,
I am not sure what kind of lightning arrestor you have, but I use 3-wire, 4-wire, and individual arrestors (technically called varistors) on irrigation control systems. They work great if they are in the right places. I have found that the most effective place to put them is closest to the source of the lightning strike. In your case it may be the tower itself. Each wire going up the tower gets one lead of a varistor, the other lead of each varistor goes to a good ground rod. In some cases I will install fuses at both ends of buried wires. Lightning will still wreck your stuff, just not as often. The best defense against lightning is a complete disconnection of all conductors.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Eric

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!