Bogart Trimetric and MK 105ah AGM batteries

72 Posts
Nov 18, 2008 08:33 pm
Bogart Trimetric and MK 105ah AGM batteries

Hello,

I have 4 105ah AGM batteries for a total of 420 amp hour capacity.

I also have a Trimetric TM-2020 Battery Monitor.

But, I'm having difficulty in trying to figure out how to configure the monitor to properly provide stats on the battery bank condition.

Can anyone tell me how the monitor should be configured?

Separately, Should both the inverter and the charger be connected to the shunt?

The monitor allows you to set the following:

VOLTS "Charged" setpoint voltage.
10.0 to 65.0 volts
( this I think should be somewhere around 14.4 ? )

AMPS "Charged" setpoint amps
1 to 100, amps or "OFF"
( this I believe should be off ? )

(AH)Amp hours
( this I believe should be 420 )

Nov 20, 2008 05:59 am
Re: Bogart Trimetric and MK 105ah AGM batteries

You know how these product manuals are always saying; "Be sure to carefully read and understand this manual before attempting to..." well its doubly true of some manuals. A lot of these product manuals take, I think, a certain amount of deductive reasoning skills. Certain areas of these manuals are like camouflaged, you have to look for whats not there to see what is there. You get a sense of subterfuge. Some manuals, I wonder if the person who wrote the manual and drew the diagrams, every actually had to follow the manual and preform the tasks.

I have a Tri-Metric 2020. Have had two actually. First was taken out by a surge, long story. Whats frustrating is once you have it all figured out and programed, in the end, you'll never need to know that stuff again. Unless of course you have need of another one or replacing one, but by then it could all be forgotten.

Even after all of that I have to say, the Bogart, Tri-Metric 2020 is a damn good monitor! Mine has worked flawlessly for years. It would be my recommendation to anybody starting up a PV system. You made a good choice.

It depends, where the shunt goes I mean, on what you want to know about your system. If you want know the total amphours in and out of your battery bank then the shunt is the "last link" between ALL negative leads and the only negative lead to the battery bank.
If you want to know just PV input to the battery, go across shunt to battery with PV negative only. After charge controll, not before.
Its the same with anything else you may want to know about individually. Use only that line or loads negative.
Only those negatives that go across the shunt to battery negative will the monitor read in and/or out.
Personally, I want to know all amps in and out of my battery bank, so I went across the shunt with all negative leads.
If there are a lot of negatives in your system, it helps to use a splice block.
!!WARNING!! If you have multiple negative leads in your system going to shunt, you must use the correct wire size to continue negative from the shunt to the battery negative post. Example: you may have a total of; 3 - #4  and 1 - #2/0 negative leads going to shunt but you want to use one wire from shunt to battery negative post. You will need to know the sum of the amperage ratings of the pre-shunt wires, to properly size the one post-shunt wire.

I confused myself on that one. I am starting gain some respect for those people that write the manuals, what with liabilities being a major concern and all. Does the above warning make sense to anyone else? Can anyone write this in a better way? Of course diagrams would help.

As for the set points.
1 -  14.4 sounds high for sealed AGM's. Thats sounds more like a high limit for flooded cell lead acid. I would set that the same as the high limit on your charge controller for those sealed AGM's. Thats 13 something right? Go with battery manufatures suggestions. To high a setting on the charge controller could "boil away" the electrolytes.
2 - Yes. You would only use this if you wanted to judge amp hours in/out as a full charge criteria. Voltage criteria will do nicely though in most cases.
3 - Yes.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2008 06:14 am by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

72 Posts
Nov 21, 2008 06:55 am

Thomas,
Thanks for the feedback.

I am hitting 14.4, or so, during absorb ... So it sounds like that should be my trigger top voltage.

And, I've been given the advice to set my trigger amps to 8.

So that when it goes up to or over 14.4 volts and the amps drop below 8 ... then it should have completed absorb.

And it sounds like you are recommending to put both the inverter and the charger on the outside of the shunt ... since I want to measure total state of the battery.

Something like this:

Trimetric
                 |
Battery -> Shunt --> Inverter
                      +-> Charger

Also,
Does it sound 'ok' that on a day where I'm seeing it go in to absorb ... that I'm seeing 12.3 or 12.4 volts on the battery bank, after the charger cuts out? It would be under load, since the Inverter would still be running, but little to nothing else.

14 Posts
Nov 25, 2008 08:06 pm

Keith,

Do you have the manual for the Trimetric ?  ( I got a Trimetric recently and it didn't come with the manual...I just downloaded a copy from the Bogart website, and it's pretty extension....as in real heavy reading.... ).  Also, have you tried emailing them your question ?

72 Posts
Dec 5, 2008 07:52 pm

Andy,

Yes, my trimetric did come with a manual ... and its a pretty deep. I wish it had a few real world example diagrams, it would make things a lot clearer.

Anyways, yes ... I did send an email and received a very helpful response.

But, unfortuanately ... my monitor is still not working as it should. The readings do not appear to be tracking the battery bank very well at all.  As an example, Today .... I saw 0% full reading on the battery at 12.5 volts.

I'm pretty certain that part of the problem is that I don't have the Controller going through the shunt right now. After that, I may have a poor connection.

I guess I'm going to have take it out, re-study the wiring , and give it another shot.

Dec 7, 2008 06:51 pm

Hey, that looks pretty cool, let me try that.

Tri- Metric
                       ^
                       ^
 Battery neg.> Shunt < negative of everything dc in or out.

Like this you should be able to see; realtime voltage, then realtime amps ether in or out (display will show a - when amps out), then a realtime percentage of charge from 100%.

Bring up volts display then hold "select" and quickly press "reset" at same time. This number should be the same or a little less (0.2) than the high voltage limit set point of the charge controller.

Do the same procedure in amps mode and select, "off".

Do the same in % of full mode and select, "H94".

This is how I set mine up without a battery temperature monitor. Do you have the "extra data" functions set like you want them?

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!