Arc fault detectors

9 Posts
Oct 2, 2007 06:31 pm
Arc fault detectors

In Ontario we have to install arc fault detectors in any bedroom outlets.
I have heard that the DR series Xantex will not let these work properly.   Any comment?
If the DR will not work with these what will?
Do I need to go to a pure sine inverter?
For what I'm going to run I can use a modified.
Trying to keep the cost down. I was looking at the DR2812.
Thanks  Jerry

578 Posts
Oct 2, 2007 06:42 pm
Re: Arc fault detectors

that may be a possibility, but i have not heard that myself.
regarding the dr, i just talked to xantrex at solar 2007, and they have discontinued it.  i dont want to be jerky, buy it from us, buy it from someone else, but you may have to get it quickly because the word i got is that they are going out of production and our distributors have been running out of old SW units as well since xantrex is transistioning to the xw system.

this is one of the least expensive pure sine hardwire units
http://store.altenergystore.com/Inverters/Off-Grid-No-Utility-Needs-Batteries/2000-to-2999-Watts/Magnum-2000W-MS2012-12V-Sine-Wave-Inverter/p748/

also, there may be the option of a refurbished SW or PROSINE that could be pure sine and keep costs down for you.

- james Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

9 Posts
Oct 2, 2007 08:26 pm

James - If I step up to a pure sine wave which would you recommend a Magnum MS2812 or an Outback FX2524T or VFX2812?
I would have thought the FX would be cheaper than the VFX.
Please comment on the reliability of the Magnum vs Outback.
Thanks

578 Posts
Oct 3, 2007 05:53 pm

FX means sealed
VFX means vented
"T" signifies turbo, which is outback speak for a fan under the cover with the oval logo.  for sealed units with boosted output, the T is now standard (fx2524t).

i have heard of no reliability problem with either.  magnum does not offer the sine wave units sealed.  the main difference seems to be with the user interface and menu systems.  the outbacks are VERY capable machines.  As a result the mate controller has a complex menu system and thick manual that can have a steep learning curve.  The magnum may offer fewer features, but boasts ease of use as one of the best traits.  both outback and magnum split from xantrex after xantrex bought out trace.  both have great engineers and produce good products.  it is not a question of reliability so much as user preference on features, display, ease of use and cost.

also if you are used to a DR, a magnum may be a better fit based on what you have.  magnum also makes a modifed inverter called the RD that may work for you as well, unless your gfci issue gets in the way.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!