Terry LaValle's posts

Posted by Terry LaValle on May 2, 2011 07:47 am

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Re: NEWBIE: Is a generator compatable with off grid solar
James, thank you for the reply and yes, after re-reading, perhaps I was not asking my question clearly.

I have a gas generator that I now use to power the building when I am there.

I am looking to solar to replace my gas refridge and go with a conventional refridge.  That will consist of panlel(s), Inverter, Controller, and battery back up.

My questions is... (can I) How do I have both the solar system tied to the buildings fuse box and a gas generator?

I am there on weekends.  So, I'd like to be able to fire up the generator to perhaps "top off" the batteries and also use more power than what a battery back up might offer me. (i.e. power tools, lights, etc etc)

Warmly,

Terry

Posted by Terry LaValle on Apr 30, 2011 09:54 am

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Re: NEWBIE: Is a generator compatable with off grid solar

Ok, so nobody around here knows if one can power using a off grid solar system and generator tied together?Huh?

Posted by Terry LaValle on Apr 23, 2011 10:47 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > NEWBIE: Is a generator compatable with off grid solar
Hi there,

Newbie question (and I suspect many more to come)

Northern Minnesota location.

I have a 1000 sf rural get away property built in 2009.  There is no grid power source to the structure.  I have wired the structure with a panel box which I back feed power using my Honda 2000 generator which serves me well.  There is propane gas serving a direct vented wall mounted furnace, stove and refridgerator. There is no plumbing or water fixtures)

My dilemna.... The refridge makes me nervous and I want to get away from it. (the carbon monoxide detectors go off now and again and I suspect the building is too tight)

I'm thinking I'd like to buy a standard residential refridge and go solar to power it.  And, I'm hoping to tie the soalr to the panel box to use the recepticles and fixtures as an added bonus. The notion of not having to fire up the generator to use a light appeals to me!)

We have no current use and I see no future need for any power beyond 110v.

In advance, I generously thank you for your valued replies.

Please speak simple to me. I new to this and want to say you can't insult my intelligence.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!