Shawn Powers's posts

Posted by Shawn Powers on Feb 17, 2005 06:51 am

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 411 on equipment needed 2 set up 10/51wt panels
Good morning Sunour,
Ive come a few steps closer to completion.
I purchased a combiner box and the 40amp controller
and two 40 amp fuses.i made a mistake and bought
two 60 amp fuses first then i thaught about it
and realized i would blow out my charge controller.
so i called them back up and resovled problembo.
the trailer was way to big for my truck to handle thaugh so im still looking for an all around one for my needs.
I do have an electrician freind who will help me sortta.but i have a question on how to put a fuse or a braker between charge controller and batt bank?  i read here  array to combiner box w/brakers to control to fuse to bat to inverter ,is this correct?  
so much info and i hope on not stumped on the basics?

Posted by Shawn Powers on Feb 6, 2005 09:09 am

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 411 on equipment needed 2 set up 10/51wt panels
hello Sunour,
Ive been gone for awhile,but im back now .
thankyou for the complete answer on the matter.
im understanding what your saying .only wonder the wire going from inverter to house [in your opinon nonprofesional] or the bank to inverter,could be what ?
the pannels will be located away from house on a trailer w/bank on trailer.this will be mobil,for im still a rentee..im thinking of putting inverter on the trailer in a locked box.
im ready to purchace the fused combiner for the 10pannels..im ready to go back threw response to locate the correct one.
could you recomend a charge controller?
i hope all is well w/u ,have s great day

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 18, 2005 07:43 am

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 411 on equipment needed 2 set up 10/51wt panels
ps..what is 690 in your codes?is this something you can scan  and send me..?if so thank you if not its ok ,now i really have to get going to work.its 9 degrees out side today ,fun fun fun .20 below w/wind chill.

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 18, 2005 07:34 am

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 411 on equipment needed 2 set up 10/51wt panels
hello Sunour;
ya say its funny I mention snow ,its because in CT
we have the same storms as you.My aunt lives in ss.c and is selling her double wide and land.you say your storms are distructive?does this happen alott? ok now..you being an electrion makes sence.
I switched e-servers and lost this sight for a few days.bummer.ive looked around this sight and see you give good info to many who need it ,thats cool of you..can i run my array on 12/2 household wires?i have saved alott from many of my install ing jobs..(im a trick of all master of 3)farming, carpenrty,truck driving..crappy at spelling as you can see...dislecsea almost got my a askid..
ats great to hear your family's getting bigger,i hope your all healthy and happy as well.
ok now, as they say in wissconsin till next time
have a great day..

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 16, 2005 07:12 am

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Alt-E Vision Vol. 1 No. 5 - "TROUBLESHOOTING A PV ARRAY "
Hello,
Ive a newbe...Ive read what you both have said and my question is   .is house hold 12/2 wiring heavy enough for connections on an array?and what happens if you hook up more than 20amps in a row?

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 16, 2005 06:23 am

#6 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 411 on equipment needed 2 set up 10/51wt panels
goodmorning Sunour,
yes I thaught you did read moms mag ,as i have for many yrs too.
cant say your correct enough about them 4 wheelers .fuel? yuk!!!!!!!!!! sounds like your not driving 18w anymore?did you change to a green job?I didnt realize we could haul 67000lbs of liquid?you would have had more wheels than18?!!
thankyou for info on code book,I will optain one.
Im coming up w/new reasons of use for the panels,Ive been reading of a company in newyork thats planning to set up future power stations for electric cars in the US.I should keep this in my mind for in 4-5yrs id like to obtain one also.
but to use there sights wouldnt work for me.
plus if we do go to electric cars so then all prices on panels will go up an up..Ill set up an array at home ,at work.and a back up on my car.
for the past years Ive been charge-ing 4-6 batteries in my truck ,then when I get home from work ive lived on those the best I could. ok Sunour I have no questions for today ,I getting ready for my only day off..and its going to snow all day ..yukkkkk    have a great day  

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 13, 2005 08:11 am

#7 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 411 on equipment needed 2 set up 10/51wt panels
Hi Roland,
Thankyou for the nut shell.A rebuilt battery is when someone opens it up cleans the plates ,removes the build up from one pole to the next.refill and sell ...life spand unknown to me as of now only.I'll find out next month when theres more $
for ha  ha  I have an older model panel  Kyocera LA51J ...I reach the company that handles this.
contact.Gene Bertsche @Kyocera Solar Inc. in VT..
I bought thease at an auction in CT.I guess the panels are not good enough for others they only wanted the trailer they came on ..This pannel was use by the state to run those big arrows u see on the highway.they come on a nice 7' trailer that is state colar yellow or orange ,,theres my nut shell for you.
I have a broken panel but the contacts are intaked so I put 1/8 glass over it and sealed it .
I  dont want this panel to bring the others down Im thinkinf of putting it on my dads handy scooter.
can I run nine of them?for home.
I rent a room at this time ,all my $is going to pay off my student loans..so I'LL MOUNT it on the ground for now they came in the metal from that was on the trailer ,in a few months they will go back on the trailer they came off of.They told me of the trailer as I was driving off w/the panels,straped down on a snow moble trailer in a snow storm.Iwasnt very happy,knowing that they may fall off ..but I was verry happy to have them.
How do I ground my panels ,theres only 2 wires.?
do I need to ground them as though it were connected to a house?4' copper rod in the ground then a second one 5' away from the first? what would the ground connect to the frame,as you would do for your pool?
my time is running out now ,time for work Im a spring water ;Tanker driver.remember to use your dog gon blinkers out there [and I should say its not fair when 4wheelers as your called only have the blinker on for one blink ..do they think anyone really saw it?thid is your life im speaking of ,is it worth only one blink of an eye?
cause thats all I have most times when they come in my lane and slam on the brakes becuase they werent smart enough to look ahead and see whats going to happen..evil people and its all for me peolpe suck..on a happier note have a great day and drive as though you know better.dont leave your brains in the office and get in your car.

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 12, 2005 08:24 am

#8 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 411 on equipment needed 2 set up 10/51wt panels
Hello Roland
I didnt even look to se who sent the message,Ive replyed to the the wrong person .most of the questions were durrected to you.would a rebuilt battery be ok for now? Does cycles mean amount of charges? thankyou for price break downs. I see when I purchase the bat bank it pays off to buy
20yr ones.you both have alott of great info ,thank you for takeing the time to share it .
If theres any questions you may have on landscapeing or gardening feel free to ask me inreturn..i have to go for now and write your info long hand because the printers broken.so i can keep track of what your teaching me..

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 12, 2005 08:06 am

#9 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 411 on equipment needed 2 set up 10/51wt panels
Thankyou Sunour,
your info is most imporant to me.I will take this slow,Ive waited 10yrs to get this far but i wish I took time to learn this befor now.always trying
to live life in the fast lane.I just started to go back to school to learn how to  live in ease;not worry so much.
whats your imput on rebuilt 6vlt  batteries?they are 30$ each .When you speak of cycles do you mean
how many times they charge?

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 11, 2005 07:17 am

#10 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 411 on equipment needed 2 set up 10/51wt panels
hi Roland,
thank you for your info ,i couldnt find what  you speak of .fuses ..i picked up my panels and i found that the two i thaught were broken are not,so i now have 10 /51wt working panels.i checked the out put and it is 19.5vts on a cloudy day.where do i purches 40amp breakers and controler?can i buy them used ?if any one out there has one i can buy,trade,or work for pleases say so ..Im on a tight budget for some time now,looks like I'll be on it threw this summer..
im looking at my panels every day dreaming of the day it will power my needs.
the fuses you spoke of are they for dcvt only,does it say 40amp dc on it?
do you have any info on the electric cars,made by ford [I think]? i went on ebay and saw them for the fist time.it looks like top charge is 45mls,but they didnt say the speed or what the voltage is.what size bat bank it has.thanks again for the great info ,im off to work now ill chat after..           shawn

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 5, 2005 08:09 pm

#11 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: 411 on equipment needed 2 set up 6/51watt panels
Hello Sunour,
thankyou for all the info..
i have some questions on what your saying.
you said 25.5amps plus 156%=39.78amps  
where is the figure 156 coming from?wouldnt that figure be 90.78? if so that would change the last figure when trying to size the battery bank ...
please dont take this the wrong way im just being cairful w/my figures now .
it sounds like you have panels of your own or you install them,is this correct? what do i put inbetweenthe solar panels and the batteries for protection?you wrote charge controller and fuses?
oh yah..sounds like you live up north at 3.5 hrs of sun light on dec 31,but i know what your saying on the least amount of sunlight for the calculations.what happens when you have 12hrs of sunlight?im ota room .hope 2 hear from u again thk
4 writting me back .do you have a garden?i hope so
im picking up panels 1-6-04 its been a long wait

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 4, 2005 08:27 am

#12 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > 411 on equipment needed 2 set up 6/51watt panels
hello my name is shawn im buying 8/51 watt solar panels..real cheap
Ive been reading all the questings in this sight
trying to learn as much as possible, Im still feeling alittle lost ..before setting thease up [at the correct angle faceing south]what pertections should I have in place ?I have no paper work to fall back on.
what batterys would be best ,can I use my 1700w inverter that I already own?Im looking to start small for now,learning as I go..Im looking to run my small apt and heating cables in my garden for
now..Id like to hear from all of you and I will respond..sorry my spelling my be a little off sometimes ,Im better w/plants than computers.Im an
organic farmer in ct.

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 4, 2005 08:02 am

#13 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: splitting power
im need to this please tell me what your out come was..did it work yet

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 3, 2005 08:50 am

#14 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Re: Solar panel door
panel on front door sounds good , like you were told you will not get 100% out of them and it will be tricky to wire it but theres no reason not to try ...you could instill it on a slight angle and allow enough wire to bend on hinge side..i can picture it and ive instilled alott of doors .please tells us how your doing on this,im a new member to this sight.

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 3, 2005 08:40 am

#15 -  Renewable Energy > For Sale > Re: mounting system
hello im writting from ct. are u still looking to put your panels on the roof and walk under them?   this can easily be done..

Posted by Shawn Powers on Jan 2, 2005 06:30 am

#16 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > vlts in 4/12vlt
the max vlts is 14,if u run as one long battery.i think thats what you were saying ?if not it would be 4x14vlts...im doing the same thing but i put it in my truck

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!