Ray Westbrook's posts

Posted by Ray Westbrook on Mar 21, 2010 08:04 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Low Battery Cut Out Limits
Forgot to mention my solution to the problem. Have decided to use the Auxiary connection on the inverter which can send out a 12 volt signal. This can be programmed to sense low battery voltages from 20 to 52 volts for a 48 volt system in .1 volt increments. The delay time before it is triggered can be set in 1 second increments up to 600 seconds. I bought a piezo electric car alarm at Radio Shack for 6 bucks and change and wired it to the auxilary output. This wont shut the inverter down, but it will warn me when my battery bank is getting low so I wont kill the batteries.

Posted by Ray Westbrook on Mar 21, 2010 07:48 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Low Battery Cut Out Limits
Thanks for all the responses to my original question. With regard to concerns over having the system shutdown when the battery voltage drops due to a current surge. If you did decide to set the cutoff voltage to a higher value, all you have to do is increase the Low Battery Cutoff Delay. This can be set for anywhere from 0 to 600 seconds which would prevent system shutdown due to voltage drops from temporary current surges. The default setting is 10 seconds.
Thanks again for all the replies!!  Ray

Posted by Ray Westbrook on Mar 15, 2010 05:25 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Low Battery Cut Out Limits
I have an Xantrex XW 4548 Inverter Charger and I am using a 48 volt battery bank. I noticed that the default value for the Low Battery Cut Off is 44 volts for a 48 volt system. If the battery voltage drops that low before any warning or cut off, GOODBY BATTERIES. The LBCO value can be changed but it has a maximum limit of 48 volts. At that point the batteries would have discharged to 25% capacity. Why doesn't the range allow a setting of at least 48.8 volts which would be a 50% discharge of the battery bank?

Posted by Ray Westbrook on Mar 7, 2010 09:17 am

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Xantrex XW Power Distribution Panel AC Breakers
Thanks Dwight,
  My son has a small cabin and is totally off the grid. We connected his generator to the top of the breakers on the distribution bars where the grid would normally come in. In his case he wouldn't have the generator running if he wanted to service the unit but I can see it would be useful if he was tied to the grid. Thanks for the reminders about getting zapped. Ray

Posted by Ray Westbrook on Mar 6, 2010 02:55 pm

#5 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Xantrex XW Power Distribution Panel AC Breakers
My son just installed Xantrex XW Hybrid system. There are 3 AC circuit Breakers in the Power Distribution panel. The center one of the three is labeled By Pass. It is ganged to the breaker to its right so that when the right side breaker is ON the By Pass breaker is Off. What is the function of the By Pass Breaker? The right hand breaker transfers power coming from the inverter to the panel in his house.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!