Max Schulte's posts

Posted by Max Schulte on Mar 18, 2012 04:00 pm

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Grounding?
My question is if I attached my ground wire from my inverter to the electric plug I have inside my house that is attached to my gas fired generator am I asking for trouble. The gen is grounded on its lug and so is the inverter. Overkill?

Posted by Max Schulte on Jan 20, 2012 09:25 pm

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > C-35 controller and Battery
So I need the forums opinion. I have a C-35 controller that I am using as a diversion controller And a 60W 12V panel feeding a single battery. I have wire the system per the instruction in my manual BUT in Diversion mode the panel is straight wired(with diode) to the battery. Am I shaving life off of my battery by straight wiring? Anyone got more time in with this type of wiring?

Posted by Max Schulte on Jan 15, 2012 05:36 pm

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Small Wind Power > Re: maximum power output while charging battery
Have you put that unit into the wind yet? I have a post here. Once I put mine into the wind even the high wind days I would only get 3.5 volts. Hub and blade drag. Take a look at my wind pic.

Posted by Max Schulte on Apr 30, 2011 09:41 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Re: Xantrex C35
I will keep a wary eye on it then. Money's getting tight to have a failure of 2 parts of my solar equipment.

Posted by Max Schulte on Apr 8, 2011 01:17 pm

#5 -  AltE > Discussion > Re: Diversion load water heater
Take a look at the solar heating solatr thermal post and look for my name. I had a post there about water elements.

Posted by Max Schulte on Apr 5, 2011 09:38 pm

#6 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Small Wind Power > Re: Voltmeter placement
I have available to me two DC motors. One is up the pole and one in reserve. I in a moment of poor judgement bought one of those Ebay 70$ wind gens and it was blown in 9mo.
I reused the main body and several other parts that I had gotten to keep the original wind motor going. IE 2nd set of blades,40A diode.On the bench at 700 RPM it produces 8V 8A but at near 2000RPM it produces 13.7 10A. I have not done the math but I have a 3 blade set up and the blades are 1ft long. I think in the higher wind days here in the upper midwest I might be able to get the RPM's needed to charge. We had storms over the weekend with gust's up to 45 MPH and it is still intact. We will see.

Posted by Max Schulte on Apr 3, 2011 09:47 pm

#7 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Small Wind Power > Voltmeter placement
I have just completed a DIY Wind Gen. I am double checking myself but if I wanted to check the output voltage I would place my volt meter on the gen side of the diode and then the negative. Correct.

Posted by Max Schulte on Mar 7, 2011 07:19 pm

#8 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Re: Xantrex C35
It is printed with a .75 on it. One last question does the resistive air heater loads you use make a squeeling noise when voltage is applied or is it just me. I am on a learning curve up here in Il. Trial and error and error.

Posted by Max Schulte on Mar 6, 2011 11:26 am

#9 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Re: Xantrex C35
Much like with batteries you cant mix div loads either correct. I have a 125w and a 300w.

Posted by Max Schulte on Mar 3, 2011 09:19 pm

#10 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Xantrex C35
I have a question for anyone that has a C series controller? Does anyone use this controller in diversion mode with both solar AND wind inputs? So long as you dont exceed the amp rating. Will that work? I am currently using just a 60W 12V panel.

Posted by Max Schulte on Feb 17, 2011 04:19 pm

#11 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Heating - Solar Thermal > Hot water heating element
I have a C35 controller switched to diversion. A single 60w solar panel. With a air heating element load. I have an opportunity to get a 6g electric water heater and I was thinking of year round pre heating the water that goes to my water heater.1st question is is it worth my time? 2nd is what REALLY is the difference between the 120v heating element and a 12v element? 3rd would I be doing anything with only 60w of power?

Posted by Max Schulte on Oct 3, 2010 04:09 pm

#12 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Electric System - Photovoltaic > Blocking Diode?
I am getting a Xantrex C35 and I am wondering when I hook my 60W panel to it will I be required to use a blocking diode?

Posted by Max Schulte on Apr 24, 2010 12:30 pm

#13 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Xantrex C35 controller
I do not have a diversion load that runs in water it is air cooled soo. I have not made a purchase but in summer I dont want to make heat. I will just save my money now. THX

Posted by Max Schulte on Apr 24, 2010 12:26 pm

#14 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Newbee question
This is just a little side note. If you decide to change to LED bulbs do not get light of America brand. 8 bulbs 8 failed in less than a year 50 down the drain.

Posted by Max Schulte on Apr 17, 2010 10:03 pm

#15 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Xantrex C35 controller
Who in the forum actually has this controller? My question is how hard is it to switch from dump load to pmw mode?

Posted by Max Schulte on Feb 21, 2010 02:11 pm

#16 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Mono or Poly
Of the materials that panels are made of what is the more desireable? That is what is available to the general public.

Posted by Max Schulte on Dec 26, 2009 12:48 pm

#17 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Mini Wind gen question
David
 Well its all but over now. When I find a spare moment I am going to call not email. 2 days ago at the same time the motor quit putting out 12v and then I lost a blade.It was in a good steady 18 mph wind straight out of the east.Not good weather to be crawling around a tower even if is only 10 ft tall...

Posted by Max Schulte on Nov 22, 2009 05:23 pm

#18 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Mini Wind gen question
David
 Did you have a number I could call or there web address? I live in the midwest and the grain elevators are drying at full capacity so it is noisey. I noticed a strange sound over the noise and it was coming from the wind gen. I lost the web address and I hope if it comes to it they have replacement motors.

Posted by Max Schulte on Nov 14, 2009 07:36 pm

#19 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Ground question
Right now I have one positive connection and one negative connection from the battery for my solar panels and then the same for my wind generator. Would there be a problem if the solar and wind were on the same ground connection to the battery? Basically two independent positive but one common ground?

Posted by Max Schulte on Nov 8, 2009 08:48 pm

#20 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Mini Wind gen question
David
 I know I am not in a good wind area but I have a question? Did you ever put an Amp gauge on your USAwind unit. I got the 200W unit. The best wind I get around here I have squeezed 3 amp burst with 1 amp average. Dont get me wrong I am not complaining I just want to compare.

Posted by Max Schulte on Oct 31, 2009 01:18 pm

#21 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Mini Wind gen question
Last night a blade hit the tower but we had some high gusts.I wonder if I am going to get into a balance problem? lost 1\2 in of blade. Does anyone know what size PCV pipe they make these blades out of?

Posted by Max Schulte on Oct 11, 2009 11:40 am

#22 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Wind Turbine amp draw?
I hooked up my amp gauge the other night when it was still and the meter was reading 00.1. It is a 2 amp digital meter so I took that as 100 milliamp. My question would be is that an excessive draw? Is the diode that is installed failing?

Posted by Max Schulte on Sep 16, 2009 07:51 pm

#23 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Mini Wind gen question
Yes I have the 200w version but only 3 blade. I have had it go thru 2 storms that the weathercube said 50mph gust. But I did have the tail turned 20 degrees.Do you know what speed you had blade failure at?I have had no problems yet that were major only a single rust spot.But I had the inside track and got the body and tail powder coated. I have put it into service now after 3 mo of testing. When I finally put it in its permanate spot the wind stops blowing.LOL Its been 3 wks...

Posted by Max Schulte on Aug 18, 2009 07:28 pm

#24 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Solar panel with Diode.
If I have a 12v solar panel and it has a built in blocking diode if I would buy a matching panel and wire it in series would I get 24v? It seems like a simple question but I am having a moment.

Posted by Max Schulte on Aug 13, 2009 09:56 pm

#25 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Mini Wind gen question
Well dare I say I got it off E-bay. I wont say a homemade unit but its not a mass produced unit. The hub is drilled to accept 6 blades but it is shipped with 3. I also had thought that the load on half the hub would probably split it in half. There is no way to put a brake on it and you have to manual furl the tail. If I added 3 more blades would I be asking for problems on the top end.

Posted by Max Schulte on Aug 10, 2009 08:09 pm

#26 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Mini Wind gen question
I have a small Wind turbine that can take 2 to 6 blades. My question is for safety reasons if I switched to 2 blade would that undue strain on the center hub? I understand the principals of wind generating and I have posted here before. I am worried come the winter time that the winds would destroy this turbine. My thoughts are that with 2 blades I will increase its turn on speed but also its self destruct speed. This is a unregulated non-braking turbine. I can side furl the tail but manually. Or should I go 2 blade and 10 degrees of furl? Let me know.

Posted by Max Schulte on May 5, 2009 08:30 pm

#27 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Wind Turbine wire size
I would like to thank everyone for all of the information I am going to have to grind thru. Right now I have put up a temporay pole and have begun testing this wind turbine I have purchased. I am certain I will be back with more Questions on a fresh topic line.
Max

Posted by Max Schulte on Apr 27, 2009 07:57 pm

#28 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Wind Turbine wire size
53ft is the total run. However tonight with bargaining I might of shaved some of that distance off. Got a better location but I may be planting flower at the base of the pole.I am going to have to remeasure and repost for the groups opinion.

Posted by Max Schulte on Apr 26, 2009 12:07 pm

#29 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Wind Turbine wire size
I just got a 150W wind turbine and I think I need to use 10 ga stranded wire. I am going 50 ft total.I have a 12v system but that is being regulated 3ft from the batt. So I am being told that this Gen will max volt at 36-40. Do you think 10ga will work?

Posted by Max Schulte on Jan 20, 2009 09:25 pm

#30 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Check My Calculation
I need someone to check my calculation. I am using a 5w 110v bulb thru an inverter. 6hrs a day 7 days a week. Average 4 hrs of sun a day with 4 days of no sun at worse. 4 .350ma 12v solar panels and 115 ah battery run down to 50%. I have done the math and I think that will fly. What do you think? Maybe  someone who is running battery's need to give me some guidance.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!