Kenneth Alepidis's posts

Posted by Kenneth Alepidis on Mar 31, 2014 09:31 am

#1 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Water Pumping > Re: System for Rain Barrel Pump and More
Thanks Tom - simpler is better, right?  But I guess that wouldn't be fun.  I have my barrels (which are actually hard-piped to my sump pump) in an enclosure and integrated some plantings around them so I can't really move them much.  I also want a small system as a back up to my sump pump.  It's a good point, and if I don't get my panel set up I'll look into the gravity feed option instead.  Thanks.

Posted by Kenneth Alepidis on Mar 28, 2014 09:19 am

#2 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Water Pumping > Re: System for Rain Barrel Pump and More
Thanks for all the help, advice and recommendations Bramley, very much appreciated.  I'll likely steer away form the direct, as I already have some components kicking around (inverter, battery, AC pump) and I want the backup batteries.  I will however purchase the rest of the equipment, and thanks for the fuse advice.  As an aside, I work at a company in Boston who has worked with you guys, and you come highly recommended.  I now see why.

Posted by Kenneth Alepidis on Mar 24, 2014 11:12 am

#3 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Water Pumping > Re: System for Rain Barrel Pump and More
Thanks Bramley - see below for answers in parentheses:  What part of the country (Boston, MA area). Is this a seasonal project (yes, primary use for garden pumping is seasonal, May-September - fyi, I have a 50watt panel already, so I plan to use that.  I would like to have the system available year round for emergencies, but it would get little use beyond the summer).  How much water do you want to move per day (5-15 gallons). Is that amount seasonal (summer only, same amount throughout the season) . Is there any vertical lift from where the water is to where it needs to go (typically 5, but up to 10 ft. lift).  Do you need any pressure to water your garden - do you plan to use any sort of spray nozzle - or to just let the water flow openly from the pipe (minimal pressure, mostly open flow with some drip irrigation incorporated).  (Thanks again)

Posted by Kenneth Alepidis on Mar 23, 2014 09:26 pm

#4 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Solar Water Pumping > System for Rain Barrel Pump and More
I am planning a small (tiny) system to primarily charge and run a small pump to be used to transfer water from my rain barrels to my garden (~50 ft. away).  Since I have access to a 50watt panel (larger than I need), I plan to build the system a little more robust in case I want to charge 2 or 3 larger batteries, to run some equipment in case power goes down (sump pump, beer fridge, etc.).  Does the system I planned make sense or will it work properly:
1) 50 watt marine grade panel, 2) inline fuse, 3) 6A/12V charge controller, 4) 12V, 8Ah(20Hr) Sealed Agm Battery (or Deep Cycle/RV Battery- Group Size 31M, 115AH (20hr)), 5) 200 watt DC/AC converter, 6) outdoor outlet timer, 7) 1/12 HP transfer pump or small bilge pump.
Any comments are greatly appreciate – I realize I’m going a bit cheap here, and that I have no idea what I am doing. Thanks.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!