BATTERIES AND AMP/HOURS

5 Posts
Jun 26, 2007 11:23 pm
BATTERIES AND AMP/HOURS

I HAVE TWO BATTERY BANKS OF 12 VOLTS EACH, THE TWO BANKS ARE MADE UP OF 6 X 2 VOLT BATTERIES EACH. SO THERE IS A TOTAL OF 12 BATTERIES, EACH BEING 2 VOLTS.
EACH BATTERY HAS A STICKER ON IT THAT SAYS: "8 HOUR CAPACITY 720 AH."
WHAT IS THE AMP/HOUR CAPACITY OF THE BATTERY BANKS?

ALSO: LATELY I HAVE NOTICED THAT MY INVERTER/CHARGER DOES NOT CHARGE THE BATTERIES TO THE SAME VOLTAGE AS IT ONCE DID, IT USE TO CHARGE THE BATTERIES TO 14.6 VOLTS AND EQUALIZE TO OVER 15 VOLTS, BUT NOW IT DOESN'T SEAM TO CHARGE THEM PAST 13.6 VOLTS EVEN THOUGH THE BATTERIES GET TO 100% THE VOLTAGE WONT GO TO THE BULK SETTING ANYMORE.
           ANY IDEAS?

18 Posts
Jun 26, 2007 11:50 pm
Re: BATTERIES AND AMP/HOURS

Murray

I can help with the AH capacity but not the inverter/charger.

You are correct in wiring up the 6 batteries in series for your 12V, which means that your AH capacity won't change. The 8 Hr capacity of 720 AH means that if you completely discharged the battery over an 8 hour period, it would deliver 720 AH's, then it would have nothing left to give. Now, if you were to discharge them at a faster rate, you would get less than 720 AH, and if you discharged them slower than 8 hrs, you would get more than 720 AH.

Just a reminder that when stringing together batteries, you either add voltage or amperage, not both at the same time. So you correctly ran the 6 batteries in series for your 12V, which meant that your AH capacity didn't change. And of course the flip-side would be that you wired the batteries in parallel to have 2V with 6 X 720 AH of capacity. Also, remember that when you multiply your voltage times your amperage, you get your wattage. So 12V times 720 AH is about 8640 Watt Hours of storage, and a tag along with that is to remember to try to never consistently drain the batteries below 50% capacity. So don't use more than 4.32 KWh's of energy.

I hope this has helped. And again, I am not sure about the inverter/charger. Someone else to lend some advice? 

Have a nice day, Ian
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2007 12:16 am by Ian Williams »

5 Posts
Jun 27, 2007 09:27 am

IAN,
 THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. DOES THIS MEAN THAT BECAUSE I HAVE TWO BANKS OF THESE BATTERIES THAT I HAVE TWICE THE AMP/HOURS? IN MY CASE I HAVE CREATED TWO BANKS OF 6 X 2VOLTS. SO DOES THAT MEAN THERE IS 2 X 720AH OR 1440 AMP/HOURS?

18 Posts
Jun 27, 2007 12:33 pm

Murray,

Yes it does mean that you have 1440 AH of storage after you ran both banks in parallel for a total of 1440 AH @ 12V.

Ian

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!