Upgrading an off-grid hydro system

1 Posts
Feb 6, 2007 01:38 am
Upgrading an off-grid hydro system

I have a hydro system with a 23kW Marathon 240VAC generator (8" pipe, about 200 or 250 ft drop), but it uses too much water when set to handle our peak loads(75A to 90A). With this year's low snow pack we are not going to make it at the present rate of water flow.

The present system has no batteries or inverter, and I am willing to add those. My preference is for inverters that can drain the batteries in sync with the running hydro for times of peak load, so that I can turn the Marathon down low (35A) and use the batteries for peaks. This should allow us to recharge the batteries with the "headroom" that we presently bleed off with water cooled resistors. If needed, though, I am also quite willing to consider a small DC generator to charge the batteries.

2 years ago I read a Xantrax manual and saw that it would do what I needed, but when I called them with technical questions the "engineer" said "Oh. Really? It will do that?" I kind of lost faith in their ability to help me.

My biggest concern is that the quality of the sine wave from the Marathon (not really that good) will prevent the inverter from assisting with the extra loads when needed.

Does anybody out there have useful advice?

Thanks much,
David

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!