RV Power Needs

3 Posts
Dec 6, 2006 09:07 am
RV Power Needs

I have searched the internet far and wide and have yet to find someone who can tell me the answer to my question, in terms I can understand.  I have a travel trailer that runs off of 30 AMP power supply when I "plug in" at camping locations.  I purchased a Porter Cable BS500 gasoline generator that has two 120 v plugs (like household plugs) and one plug called an L14-20.  I know the generator puts out 5000 watts, and it has two circular 20 amp circuit breakers.  I am looking for a converter, plug, or some other way of powering the 30 AMP inverter in my RV from my generator.  That is the only reason I purchased the generator, and if I cannot find such a converter or device the money was a waste. 

163 Posts
Dec 6, 2006 12:49 pm
Re: RV Power Needs

Don,

I don't think you're going to find any sort of adapter that will allow you to switch between 20 and 30 amps. The easiest solution is to make up a short cable for that.

I'm working on the assumption here that your travel trailer's 30 amp connection is 120V as well. I've never "plugged in" at a camping location so I don't know. If it is 240V then you have a different kettle of fish all together. You would then have two 120V legs with 15 amps on each. Double-check that before you do anything!!!!!!!!!

The L14-20 is a locking type 20 amp plug that can be purchased in the electrical section of your local Lowes or Home Depot. This is better than the standard 120V plugs because it locks in place to prevent accidental unplugging after you insert it and give it a small twist.

If your travel trailer inverter converts 120V AC to 12V DC for internal use then this should work for you.

At the same store you should also be able to purchase a 30 amp receptacle of the same type that you currently plug your power cable into. Put these two items on each end of a short cable and you should be good to go. I would use 10awg wire minimum, 8awg preferably.

It may be worth noting here that even though you have a 5000 watt generator you can only get 2400 watts (20A x 120V) from either of the receptacles in your generator.

I will leave it to your imagination on how you could make up a short extension cord with two plugs and one receptacle since I've already said enough for someone to start asking questions about my Electrician's License.

3 Posts
Dec 6, 2006 01:12 pm

Your license is safe, dont worry, I just need an answer.  If I understand the two "NORMAL" plugs like I see in my house carry only 20 amps each.  To get the 30 I need, creating a Y with 2 normal males on one end and 1 Female 30 receptacle on the other would give me the sum power of 40 amps total to the receptacle of which I would only use 30.  Does this limitation apply to the 4 blade twist lock.  Does that one receptacle have the full 40 amps coming from it, or is it also 20 amp max.  If it is 40, then I would only need the one receptacle, the 10awg cable, and the 4 blade male.  Your response is great, just want to be sure what I need to do at Lowes or HD, and what to buy.

163 Posts
Dec 6, 2006 03:45 pm

Don,

Your best answer would come from the manual that came with your generator or from the manufacture.

Receptacles in your house are commonly 15 or 20 amps as stipulated by the National Electrical Code and they would have 15 or 20 amp breakers in the panel box that would trip if the current went above a certain level. I suspect that your generator would also have some sort of internal breaker that limits each receptacle to 20 amps.

On the L14-20 the "L" indicates "locking" and the "20" part of the code indicates 20 amps so that would be restricted also.

If your generator is placed in a position relative to your trailer where it is unlikely that anyone or anything will walk or fall across the cord then you can use the cheaper household type 120V plugs.

Remember that a gasoline engine will produce carbon monoxide in the exhaust so place it downwind and as far away from trailer windows as possible.

DON'T EVER RUN THE GENERATOR INSIDE THE TRAILER. That should go without saying, but far too many supposedly smart people have died from running generators inside their homes and trailers in the wake of power losses caused by hurricanes and other natural disasters.

163 Posts
Dec 6, 2006 04:10 pm

Don,

Just a follow-up clarification on the 30 amp circuit.

Your inverter does not need 30 amps to operate. That is the maximum or rated power of the inverter. With a 30 amp input at 120V you have 30x120 or 3600 watts of power coming in that can be redistributed at 12V. That would be 3600/12 or 300amps at 12V to be divided amongst all of your appliances to be used simultaneously.

If you use the 20 amp circuit from your generator your power is limited to the previously mentioned 2400 watts. If all of your appliances add up to less than 2400 watts you are OK with the single 20 amp circuit.

It is standard practice to have equipment such as inverters rated higher than the maximum load, so I think you will probably be just fine using a single 20amp receptacle. And it's always good to know your loads so you don't try to run the microwave and hairdryer at the same time.

3 Posts
Dec 6, 2006 04:53 pm

Wow.. John you have been great!  Thanks so much.  Let me ask what I hope to be the last question.  When I bought my trailer (used) the seller had the RV plug (male) plugged into an adapter, a short plug, that on one side had the female 30 A diagonal RV configuration, but the male side was just like a normal grounded house plug.  He had the RV plugged into a common household extension cord and that ran the lights. If I understand your advice, then I could use that same adapter, plug the RV cord, with adapter into the 120v/20 plug on the generator and it should work.  All I would need to do is know the WATT usage of each device and dont run anything simultaneously that exceeds the output of the generator?

163 Posts
Dec 6, 2006 05:18 pm

Don,

That's correct, and if you have that same cable then you're good to go.

578 Posts
Dec 7, 2006 11:03 am

john,

thanks for the posts on this one, I learned a lot. 

the community section and the forum have been successful because of folks like yourself sharing your knowledge with the RE / Alt-E community.  we appreciate it. Smiley

don - good luck with the system.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!