battery supply to transfer switch

1 Posts
Nov 10, 2006 10:41 am
battery supply to transfer switch

I am not sure if this is feasible, but I have a 6 circuit manual transfer switch with a 240 volt plug that I use with my generator during power outages.

What would be involved with a battery supply to the transfer switch that could supply a maximum of 1800 watts for 4 hours, using the 240 volt plug?

Would keep the battery charged with line voltage and manually connect when needed, would be nice to use solar panels to keep charged, but not vital.

Thanks for any advice

Nov 13, 2006 06:41 am
Re: battery supply to transfer switch

I am not so sure I understand, "a six circuit manual transfer switch"? A 6 pole transfer switch?         
As for the 1800 watts for 4 hours thats easy. Just pick a nominal battery voltage like 24 and divide.
4 x 1800 = 7200 watt hours load.
7200 / 24 = 300 amp hours
300 x 2 = 600 amp hours total capacity at 50% DoD all at the 20 hr. rate of course.
The reason for at least doubling the needed amp hours is to extend the overall life of the battery bank. Personally I would multiply by 5 for a 20% DoD (Depth of Discharge.)
As for turning all of this into 240 vac? or 120/240 vac? Just go to the store and start reading the specs. on inverters. Some have chargers some don't. Read the specs..

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!