Variable flow Hydro Generation

5 Posts
Oct 16, 2006 05:30 pm
Variable flow Hydro Generation

I have a stream that varies seasonally. Is there a type of turbine I can use that can handle different amounts of gallons/minute flow at approximately the same amount of head?  (So that I can get maximum output available at each season). For example if I get a 4-nozzle Stream Engine, is it practical to run in on 1 or 2 nozzles in the summer, and 4 nozzles in the winter?  This could work well in balance with solar, which has more energy available in the summer.

30 Posts
Oct 16, 2006 08:19 pm
Re: Variable flow Hydro Generation

Hi Richard - You can definitely do what you propose. I have seen similar setups that employ a shutoff valve in 3 of the 4 nozzle feed pipes so that depending on the availability of water a single nozzle can be used up to all four nozzles when there is an abundance of water.

Good luck and regards -

Tom Hardy, PE
HVTA, Inc.

5 Posts
Oct 16, 2006 09:12 pm

Thanks for the response.  Is my idea the best way, or is there a better way (different turbine, or?)?  I have about 5 gpm in the summer, and probably  4 times that in the winter.

351 Posts
Oct 17, 2006 02:02 am

What type of head do you have to work with ?
(The difference in height between your water source and turbine location)

What is the distance between these two points ?

An estimate of the spring &  fall flows would also be helpful?

The answers to these questions would help in addressing the turbine type.

Ken

5 Posts
Oct 18, 2006 12:07 pm

Hi, I'm actually working on an abandoned project that no one remembers much about.  There is an existing pipe, and an old timer remembers the head to be about 120 psi.  It's possible we would rebuild the line to start at a lower elevation that might only have about 60 psi.  I'm information gathering, to see what would be practical to persue.  What do you think?

5 Posts
Oct 18, 2006 12:12 pm

I forgot to say more about the flows.  We have about 5 gpm in the summer from the original source (120 psi), and we have a couple of others that might get us 10 gpm but at more like 60 psi.  The original source doesn't go up much until December, and might be at least 20 gpm through May, then gradually going down until it ends up at 5 gpm by August. The other two (lower) sources probably vary, but not so much.

351 Posts
Oct 19, 2006 01:47 am

Hi Richard:

The first thing I would recommend is that you get a copy of the stream engine manual, if you do not already have one. It is available here off the Alt-E store site, or directly from
http://www.microhydropower.com/e-literature/May-SEmanual.pdf
It has a real good section on determining head and flows, as well as other system design info.
Next is an article on installing a stream engine.
http://www.homepower.com/files/hp67-68.pdf
Both of these documents make good general references, in addition to being specific for the stream engine.

In your specific case, I think that the stream engine will be the best “out of the box” solution. Something else could be built up one piece at a time, but the efficiencies gained would be marginal. Your biggest problem is low flow.

Assuming that the flows and pressures you gave are correct, the 4 nozzle machine makes some sense. By plumbing it with individual nozzle shutoffs, you will have a neat way to avoid switching larger and smaller nozzles. You are actually lucky in that aspect. With different flows or head, you could have ended up having to switch nozzles to maximize the unit, even with the 4 nozzle model. In that case, I would have said go with 2 nozzles, because it will be cheaper and easier to change 2, rather than 4.

You did not say if you are planning to re-use the old pipe.  If that is part of the plan, you need to get out there and get the pipe functioning ASAP.  Not only will it confirm the pressure and flow (which I think is critical), but it will prove whether the pipe has any problems.  The age/condition varies, but the phrase “old pipe” scares me. Scaling of the pipe can give you repeated nozzle problems, even if the pipe does not leak. It could takes weeks or even months of periodic flushing, before you know if the water will clean up enough, not to cause problems.
If you can get it flowing water in a day or two, great. Otherwise I would write it off and re plan from scratch.  That could be just new pipe from this source, or it could allow you take another look at the other sources. 

Combining sources at different pressures is difficult. The easiest way and often the least expensive, is to run them as separate hydro sources and then combine them electrically.

The 5 gpm 120 psi source has both advantages and disadvantages. It is a very low flow source 5 gpm, but it is at least 280 feet high( based upon the 120 psi). The stream engine manual doesn’t even show 5 gpm flows. You can check with the mfg, but I think you will find that it will only produce about 75 watts at this flow. This is about 1.8 kilowatt hours a day.  When the flow picks up to 10 gpm, it will produce about 190 watts, 4.5kwh a day. When the flow picks up to 20 gpm, it will produce about 510 watts or 12.2kwh a day. 

That is going to raise heck with your electrical system, particularly your battery bank sizing/operation. I think I would take a look at your electrical needs, get a rough idea of the daily usage and the size bank you need, and then look at how much generation you can really use. There could be an argument made to size the thing based on the 10 gpm flow and just let the excess water go. There is no reason to generate a bunch of power, if most of it goes to your dump load. And it could reduce the total capital cost of the installation. But that is just one factor of the cost/benefit analysis.

Power transmission from the turbine/gen to the battery bank/inverter may become an issue depending on the distance between them, and the dc voltage, particularly at the 20 gpm flow.

Regardless of the end size of the bank, you need to figure out how to top the batteries off several times a week, during the 5 gpm flows.

I hope this helps,
Ken

5 Posts
Oct 19, 2006 11:17 am

Thanks Ken, you've given me a good start.  I'm an electrical engineer with experience in "Columbia River" size hydro, but it's a new (and fun) thing to work on a microhydro project!  Thank you, Ken and Thomas, for responding!

30 Posts
Oct 19, 2006 11:35 am

Hi Richard - good luck with the project.  In many ways it is similar to the large scale projects you are familiar with, but the smaller scale makes it much easier to implement. One thing I've found is that because they tend to be small physically, people forget about the engineering part.  Obviously you won't make that mistake since you are an engineer!

Keep us posted on how things turn out!

Regards -

Tom Hardy, PE
HVTA, Inc.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!