Off grid Wireless hotspot

3 Posts
Aug 8, 2006 11:43 pm
Off grid Wireless hotspot

Can anyone tell me what size equipment kit or products I will need for the following...

A remote off grid wireless hotspot.  The broadband system comes to the area from a wireles radio 802.11a, 2amps, 5 volts DC from an AC adapter 120v 1.0a max, and always on.  then we take the signal to a wireless hotspot router 802.11g, 120v 23watt to 24V DC, 500mA , that provides 600' radius signal from the omni antenna. This wireless router is also on all the time.  May want to add another hotspot router to this solar powered station.  budget is about $600+_, Have the mast, just need the panels and mounting, box with battery & inverter electronics.  May want a timer to shut down radios at 10pm and back on at 8am. and any other things that may be sugessted...sizing the unit with 1 to 2 day operation in Northern NM, we have lots of sun...thanx, Paul...

22 Posts
Aug 9, 2006 05:57 am
Re: Off grid Wireless hotspot

Hi Paul, I have a few sites that need the same requirement, the only difference is I use Motorola 2 way radio's for remote repeaters up here in New England. We use a 110 watt Evergreen panel at each of 2 sites with 4 12volt chloride batteries and a 125 watt inverter. The only reason we use the inverter is that we need controlling for the drive motor on the panel to track the sun. I have one older site using 4- 15 watt panels that were purchased from Northern Tool Company for $300 including a inverter and a charge controller. If you go the Northern route, you just have enough to buy a few real good quality batteries. I would do a quick check on the router and the radio's while receiving and transmitting to see if you really draw the current that it states... seems a bit high. Total current draw should be less than 2 watts I believe. You would be ok in N.Mex. with no problems operating at 24hrs. a day. If not, use a appliance timer to shut down and turn on like you stated.
Seems like a fun project, let us know how it works out!
 Steve

30 Posts
Aug 10, 2006 10:37 am

Hi Paul - the best thing to do is take a quick look at the numbers. You note that the radio required 2 amps of 5 volts DC, and the wireless router 500mA of 24 volts DC. So from a device point of view, this is 22 watts.  Assuming you go the inverter route and use the power supplies provided (wall wart for the 5v and a tabletop for the 24V, most likely), you will need about 30 watts AC to run the setup.[IMPORTANT NOTE: Steve seemed to think your numbers were too high - it is absolutely critical to get the correct power requirements in order to size the system even for ballpark analysis - I am using your numbers for now].

For the Albuquerque area, if you run the available solar energy models, you will find that in the winter months you can expect to get about 12.6 kWh usable at AC (accounting for typical weather as well as inverter performance) per month from a 100W solar panel.

This is about 420 hours per month (12.6 kWh/30W). Divide by 30 days and you can run for 14 hours per day.�  This seems to work assuming you shut off the system between 10PM and 8 AM as you mentioned (you obviously don't have teenage users of the system.. Smiley although you could shut it off between 2 AM and noon and they wouldn't know the difference....). A nit is that an inexpensive timer on the output of the inverter to shut off the loads won't shut off the inverter so you will have a small (but non-zero) drain on the batteries from the inverter overnight; this can be minimized but not totally eliminated with the correct choice of inverter; for now I am ignoring this loss).

Storage should be a couple of days, so you might get by with a 100 amp-hour AGM battery (better would be about 200 amp-hours of capacity to reduce the depth of discharge for a very long battery lifetime).

Total costs would be on the order of $1200 (sorry this is about twice your current budget).�  We have found that taking short cuts with minimalized systems leads to poor/unacceptable performance. But if you can live with less hours per day you might get by a little cheaper (i.e. closer to your $600 with a smaller panel and only one battery).� 

If you want to discuss further please feel free to post and/or provide contact information.�  Best regards -

Tom Hardy, PE
HVTA, Inc.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2006 10:49 am by Thomas Hardy »

22 Posts
Aug 11, 2006 06:15 am

Hi Tom, Paul is right, a 2 watt draw for the radio and the router is not right...2 amps is correct. Use an ammeter to verify the stated draw with the equipment in full operation, usually the stated current draw on radio equipment is higher than actual, I think you will find it less than 2 amps. Thanks for correcting me Paul!
  Steve

3 Posts
Sep 5, 2006 10:46 pm

Thanx for the information.  I believe the values are the rated  values from the transformers, not the measured...having said that I think the performance and reliability should error on the high side, so all your info (I believe) is right on target.  The timers as you suggested are perfect...didn't think of just using those cheap timers.  I will post the results as they develop.  Thanx again... Paul

P.S.  You guys are great and I really appreciate the info as it cuts time and money from the project...I believe that I would have had more maintenance and power problems that would have tripled my budget...I think your analysis will save me in the long run.

1 Posts
Oct 14, 2006 03:46 pm

I would like to run a wireless network camera from a remote location where electricity is not available. (& I do not want to run PoE)
The camera has the ability to tilt, pan & zoom, but the input is a 5 volt DC adapter, so I don't believe that AC is needed
The power requirements stated are 8 watts (1600 mA X 5 volts).

What size battery & panels would I need for this small project ?

-Tom

30 Posts
Oct 19, 2006 11:31 am

Hi Tom

Didn't see this as I haven't been watching for responses to this thread anymore.

You mention a load (8 watts), but are you intending to run this 24/7?

Also, where are you located?  Makes a big difference in power availability.

Finally, I have used a 5V supply running off the 12V nominal supply (11 to 15 or so volts) and can provide you with a suggested vendor for that. 

Let me know your location and the expected hours per day and I can run some models and provide suggested panel and battery sizing. 

Regards -

Tom Hardy, PE
HVTA, Inc.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!