BZ Products MPPT500 step down voltage

4 Posts
Jul 30, 2006 12:00 pm
BZ Products MPPT500 step down voltage

I bought a BZ Products MPPT500 charge controller recently, and it is out in the yard undergoing tests with the PV arrays that I have. It isn't doing all that I expect it to, and this may be a case of inaccurate product description.

I am charging a 12 volt 400AH AGM battery array, from a set of PV panels wired in series to operate as a nominal 24 volt source. I did this so that the wiring from the PV's would not have as much loss in the wiring, as well as allowing the use of less parallel runs of wire to the charge controller.

The description for the MPPT500 mentions that it is cabable of auto-ranging and performing its task in this manner. ONLY TODAY DID I NOTICE THAT THERE IS A MPPT500HV model that may be especially suited for the 24-to-12 volt conversion. And, the technical information available (even their PDF) doesn't spell it out very well.

The problem is that the MPPT500 likes to latch down the source voltage, so that the PV panels are operating at 13 volts or so, and providing the current that I could get out of only one panel. Un-plugging the panel and reconnecting it will allow a 27 volt PV source nearly doubling the current into the battery bank (6 amp PV makes 11.5 amps battery charge). The next shadow passing by or starting early morning sunshine latches the panels at 13 volts again. This isn't suitable for hands-off automatic operation.

Bottom line: I need to find out the method of changing the MPPT500 I have into a HV variant, if that's all I need to do. Forwarding this message to them, or giving me their contact info may be the first step.

I can change out resistor values on the circuit board, and perform the related rework necessary. If the HV model has a change in a microprocessor ROM from the "regular" model, then I'm sunk - I don't have a programmer available, or code to burn.

In lieu of this, begging Alt-Energy to accept my MPPT500 for exchange on a HV model is the plan.
I also have the alternative to operate the controller I have on a nominal 12 volt source - but even after doubling the #10AWG wire runs isn't going to achieve the efficiency I should see with voltage conversion.

Final alternative: Replace the MPPT500. Does anyone have experience doing what I'm describing, and have a pet charge controller they would like to recommend? Hopefully one that isn't stupid expensive, and suited to the maximum 30 amperes battery charge current I have designed in.

Jul 31, 2006 05:33 am
Re: BZ Products MPPT500 step down voltage

Boyhowdy! You wernt kiddin. I read the advertised Specs. for both of them charge controllers you mention an theyre identical cept for one bein "optimized" for one specific brand/model PV module. Weird! Sounds like a lot a hooey to me. Snake oil salesmen kinda stuff. I wouldnta bought either one, for that reason alone.

Just out of curiosity, the PV modules your utilizin, are they that specific brand/model that the one charge controller is "optimized" for?

As for how to fix your problem without someone campin out next to the charge controller... It may be that your PV array dont have a high enough wattage for maximum efficiency. Other than that, I cant say. This sounds like a job for the BZ techies (if'n they got any that is), know what I mean Vern?

3 Posts
Jul 31, 2006 09:41 am

Hey fellas.. just wanted to add some thoughts.

Victor, I think you have the right unit for the job.  It is possible the unit may be defective or damaged though.  You should give me a call so we can try to get the problem taken care of.

What you describe as the controller "latching" down on the voltage, and then by disconnecting and reconnecting it goes back up, to me this sounds suspect.  Also, this unit is only good up to 500 watts... I know you had gotten 6 of the Evergreen panels, not sure if you were using them all at once.

In regard to the spec page, we strive to present information in the best manner possible, and we appreciate feedback on how the information is received.  We would not think of participating in any hooey or Snake oil salesman stuff, I promise.  With the MPPT500 HV model, there is a description under the details section of the spec page: http://store.altenergystore.com/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controllers/BZ-Products-Charge-Controllers-MPPT/MPPT500HV-40A122448V-Higher-Input-Vlt/p296/

It states the specific PV module that it is designed to work with; we can try to add a more detailed explanation of why the high voltage model is necessary (due to 60 vcd output of Kaneka 60 watt panel).  It probably would be helpful if we also put a link to the panel... http://search.altenergystore.com/search?p=R&srid=S7%2d1&lbc=altenergystore&w=kaneka&url=http%3a%2f%2fshop%2ealtenergystore%2ecom%2fitemdesc%7eproduct%7eKaneka%252060%252060W%2520Thinfilm%2520Solar%2520Panel%7eic%7eKAN60%2dK60%2dQ1%7eeq%7e%7eTp%7e%2ehtm&rk=1&uid=526047662&sid=2&ts=v2&rsc=opqKbLUmQozPFfVX&method=and&isort=score&ref=KAN60-K60-Q1

We appreciate the heads up.... these forums are a great opportunity for us to continually improve our website and company!  Keep it coming... (Victor, you can reach me at 102)

The Alternative Energy Store
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.AltEnergyStore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 ext. 102  or +1.978.562.5858 ext. 102
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

4 Posts
Jul 31, 2006 12:50 pm

Jonny,

Thanks for the reply - and I almost grabbed the phone to talk this over, but instead decided to write this for the forum. This would also be something best pasted into a email for BZ Products, if you have contact information for the company. I would really like to hear their comments.

After making the initial post, I decided to go back out and re-wire one of the PV arrays into a 12 volt, rather than a 24 volt source. I did this after thinking about getting 11.5 amperes battery current from my two panels in series, giving 6 amps to the controller. Duh, I can get 12 amps in the parallel wire scheme - and I do.

I verified that the MPPT500 performs as one would expect charging a 12 volt battery from a 12 volt PV source. So, I don't believe that the unit I have is defective. If there isn't a functional difference between the MPPT500 and the "HV" variant, other than standing up to a 60 volt source, there is no point in persuing a exchange.

Based on my experiments, I have decided that I'm better off wiring the PV's as 12 volts. I have to place an order to get another 50-foot #10 awg cable with the whacko MC connectors the Evergreen panels use, and I have another order already in effect for #10awg marine twin-conductor cable from another source for the other panels. It isn't as elegant as using a 24-volt source, but it is (in my opinion) necessary for the MPPT500.

Final judgement on my part for the MPPT500: While it is "autoranging" and indeed capable of operating with a 24-volt PV array, it is not able to autorange out of early morning sunrise and shadows. Once it "determines" that it has a 12-volt array because of weak light, it won't relax the current draw enough to find a higher source voltage from the PV.

The MPPT500 is "capable" of 24-to-12 volt conversion, but it is not suitable for this application.

While it has DIP switches inside to determine the battery voltage (12 volt in my application) and type of battery (AGM for me), it has no user programming for the PV array voltage. It needs it.

For the specifics of my setup:
I have two Evergreen EC-110 panels as one array. Not six of them, as you had thought. I measured 38 volts open-circuited from these, when wired in series.
I also have another array of four Solarex 48-watt panels that I found used locally. As an aside, I can tell the MPPT500 "likes" the power curve on the Solarex better than the Evergreen from an efficiency point.
Each of these arrays are wired independently as parallel sources to the MPPT500's input. The total package is about 400 watts, capable of 23 amperes when wired for 12 volts.
The battery bank is four 12-volt 100AH AGM batteries in parallel. Inverter is a Xantrex (Trace) DR1512, which hums along happily through this whole ordeal.

Again, I am very curious to see what BZ Products has to say, once they read this thread. I selected a MPPT type charger with the capability of using an array of greater voltage than the battery as a primary consideration. The multi-point power tracking is a secondary consideration, which is why I have no qualms about using a mixed-panel array that may have a weird optimum curve with double-humps.

I believe there is a market for a specific 24-to-12 charger, for minimizing PV wiring losses. MPPT500 isn't it. This would be great for a manufacturer to step up to the plate and answer to.

-Victor

Aug 1, 2006 05:43 am

I am cynical, I know, but I do not apologize for being cynical. Cynicism to me is like a burr in your britches, it makes you want to take your pants off and get it out. Cynicism can call into action. The result of to much cynicism can even be a punch in the nose sometimes.

Why do you suppose history is so important? Things that happened, things that people did or didn't do, 7,000 years ago, 100 years ago, just yesterday. If one listens, I mean really listen to what people are saying when we talk, one will begin to hear that we are either talking about ourselves or talking about someone else the majority of the time.

Even though renewable energies is touted as protecting the evironment, saving the world for future generations and all of that, the renewable energies industry as a whole or as individuals is not above reproach, and yes I include myself in that statement. We are after all is said and done, only human.

3 Posts
Aug 1, 2006 07:30 am

MPPT500 PV tracking error.

The unit described has a internal noise problem that was not detected during production. A production change has been implemented to correct this problem. The microprocessor is seeing noisy data and not tracking properly. Return the 500 to BZ Products for hardware and software upgrades.

MPPT500 VS MPPT500HV.

While both versions of the MPPT500 will accept a PV input voltage of 100 volts maximum. The efficiency of the MPPT500HV has been optimized for 48 volt PV input.

We like to hear back from our customers in order to continue improving our products. 

Frank Lewon BZ Products. INC.

462 Posts
Aug 1, 2006 09:04 am

Why not just rewire the panels in parallel for 12 volts and 6 amps output....

4 Posts
Aug 1, 2006 10:39 am
Re: Advantage of 24 volt source

Tom,

Assume you have some length of wire that you use to connect the PV panels to the charge controller. The length and the guage are arbitrary for this example; use the constant of a one volt drop in the wire at 6 amperes.

Wiring the panels in parallel for a nominal 17 volt Vpk @6 amps = 102 watts from each panel. The loss in the wire (1V x 6A) = 6 watts. 6/102 = 5.8 percent of the power is lost in the wire.

In the 12 volt example, this would require individual wire runs to each panel. So, with two panels, there are a total of four conductors used, to carry a total of 12 amps. It is still 5.8% lost in the wire.

Switching over to series (24 volt) wiring for the same two panels results in 204 watts available (34V x 6A). Using only two conductors results in 6 watts lost (1V x 6A), which is now only 2.9 percent lost in wire.

Bottom line: the 24 volt wiring scheme is more efficient, and the wire to connect it will cost half the money, since half the wire is used.

5 Posts
Aug 15, 2006 11:51 pm

Have the current BZ controllers from alt energy store been updated ?  I have others complain that you cannot
listen to the radio within about 500' of it.

The unit described has a internal noise problem that was not detected during production. A production change has been implemented to correct this problem. The microprocessor is seeing noisy data and not tracking properly. Return the 500 to BZ Products for hardware and software upgrades.

MPPT500 VS MPPT500HV.

While both versions of the MPPT500 will accept a PV input voltage of 100 volts maximum. The efficiency of the MPPT500HV has been optimized for 48 volt PV input.

3 Posts
Aug 20, 2006 02:26 pm

MPPT50HV specifications.

Thank you for pointing out the difference between the MPPT500 and MPPT500HV. Both controls operate over the entrie PV input range of 12 to 48 volts nominal.

The power converter components of the MPPT500 have been selected to provide optimum operation efficiency and current boost with a 48 volt nominal PV input. Power conversion efficiency is up to 2% higher in the 500HV as compared to the 500.

In the 500 watt power range most PV arrays will be 12 or 24 volts. So the MPPT500 has been optimized to the lower PV input voltage.

Some installations require very long wire run to the solar array. In these installations the MPPT500HV would be a better choice.

Frank Lewon BZ Products.

3 Posts
Aug 20, 2006 02:39 pm

RE MPPT500 RFI and update firmware.

Additional RFI suppression has been added to the MPPT500 and MPPT500HV controls.

New firmware is available for the MPPT500/500HV. Contact BZ Products for free upgrade.

Frank Lewon BZ Products  bzp @ bzproducts.net

462 Posts
Oct 9, 2006 06:32 pm

Maybe try relocating the panels for a shorter wire run.....

2 Posts
Nov 23, 2006 10:24 am

I use a MMPPT500 with 3 Evergreen 110W,12V solar panel connected in series. My battery bank is 12V (2 Trojan 6V,220Ah).
I observed the following:The solar panels give 54V in open circuit. At the input side of the controller I read 22V (with a multitester) and 6A whereas the output side gives 13.1V with 10A. That is only 131W.I measures the voltage directly at the output of the solar panel to be sure there was no wire losses, but it was 22V too.
First I expected more power from the solar panel with the sun shining through during the sunniest part of the day.
Second, why the input voltage of the controller is so low (22V)

1 Posts
Dec 25, 2006 01:08 pm

I am researching controllers now, I recently read that the MPPT 500 is preferred for 12 volt systems.  Higher voltage the better choice is the MPPT-500HV.
 This was from their Product descrition.
Best of luck: Bob

462 Posts
Jan 29, 2007 04:58 pm

...All depends on how far your wire runs are...

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!