Question about solar hot water heating

2 Posts
Jun 17, 2006 09:37 pm
Question about solar hot water heating

This is probably a stupid question and i apologize ahead of time.  My only excuse is that I am new to this (solar energy).  Can I connect an individual collector(s) into my water storage tank that I have right now or do I need a solar water storage tank?

Also, what square footage would I need?  Is there a forumla I can use to determine this?

I am sure there are a bunch of things that I have omitted.  If there is anything else needed, just ask and feel free to tell me/link to things that I should know about but don't.

Thank you.

Jun 18, 2006 01:14 pm
Re: Question about solar hot water heating

Sure. Whats known as a "breadbox" batch solar water heater can go inline on the cold water side before your conventional water heater. A word of caution though, there has to be freeze protection if the region you reside in has freezing temperatures in the winter months. This would true of any solar water heater unless it incorporated a double wall heat exchanger and a solution that does not freeze such as silicon oil or antifreeze. As for sizing, that would depend on just how much you want to produce in a day. If you just want to heat a pool or, potable water or, if you want to heat your home or, just reduce the fuel or electric bill. Check out - kingsolar.com they have schematics of sample systems with explanations as well as prices.

2 Posts
Jun 20, 2006 12:26 am
Re: Question about solar hot water heating

>Sure. Whats known as a "breadbox" batch
>solar water heater can go inline
>on the cold water side before
>your conventional water heater. A word
>of caution though, there has to
>be freeze protection if the region
>you reside in has freezing temperatures
>in the winter months. This would
>true of any solar water heater
>unless it incorporated a double wall
>heat exchanger and a solution that
>does not freeze such as silicon
>oil or antifreeze. As for sizing,
>that would depend on just how
>much you want to produce in
>a day. If you just want
>to heat a pool or, potable
>water or, if you want to
>heat your home or, just reduce
>the fuel or electric bill. Check
>out - kingsolar.com they have schematics
>of sample systems with explanations as
>well as prices.

Thank you for your reply.  Having just done a quick glance, would I need a heat exchanger if I built an open-loop system?  Also, looking at the models at kingsolar.com, they show a two tank setup but I don't have to do that right?

As for size, it would be for 2 people with occasionally 2 more.  I would like to use it to heat the water used (i.e. showers) in the house.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!