Xantrex 1500 + Solar Panel - HOW?

1 Posts
Apr 15, 2006 06:03 pm
Xantrex 1500 + Solar Panel - HOW?

I want the Xantrex 1500 backup system (I have and love a smaller system that I use via Grid charge). But this time I want to charge the Xantrex 1500 with solar (as advertised it can) - which solar panel and accessories do I need?
Thanks katherinesai0354 @ aol.com

Apr 16, 2006 09:06 am
Re: Xantrex 1500 + Solar Panel - HOW?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-06 AT 09:12 AM (EST)

It largerly depends on just how much power in terms of amp-hours is used from the batteries in a 24 hour period and how many 24 hour periods there might be without sunshine or utilities. The later is hard to predict so you may just have to pick a number.
What I like to do (this is all basic) when sizing a battery bank for an off grid system with all VAC (volts alternating current) loads from an inverter is to calculate the anticipated load as watt hours at 120 VAC for a 24 hour period, then turn that into amp hours at a nominal DC (direct current) voltage. I then multiply that times 5.
Once I know this I then size the PV (photovoltaic) array to replace one 24 hour period or 20% of the total battery capcity in one sunny day, preferably Dec. 21 - the shortest day of the year. For example:
In a 24 hour period 4,000 watthours is consumed at 120 VAC - at 24 VDC that is 167 amp hours, multiply that by 5 and we have a total battery capacity of 835 amp hours at 24 VDC. To replace with PV what is used in a 24 hour period just take the 4,000 watthours and divide by the "number of hours of equivilent full rated charge." Bear with me on this one. Goto
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/redbook/atlas/

and in section; 1. choose - minimum, 2. choose - December, 3. choose - flat plate tilted south at latitude + 15 degrees, 4. "view map." Once you have done this just pick the region in which you live and you can see the "number of hours of equivilent full rated charge" from a PV array. Become familiar with this calculator. Expieriment with the values and parameters. You will see on the maps legend kWh/m2/day, that translates into kiloWatthours per square meter per day. Now there is a lot of math involved in getting a more precise value from this in terms of the number of equivilent full rated charge hours from a PV array but to keep things simple I will just pick the number 2 from the legend. So now we know that we can expect about 2 kiloWatthours or 2000 watthours a day from a PV array on the shortest day and we will need 4 kiloWatthours or 4000 watthours to replace what has been used from the battery in a 24 hour period. Basically we will need a 2000 watt PV array at 24 VDC in this example. From there the charge controller and all of the subsequent electrical needs can be sized to meet the NEC (national electrical code) requirements. Again, this is all basic. If one desired to, one can calculated more precisely taking such things as inverter inefficiencies, the actual size in square meters of the PV array, wire lengths, etc., etc.. This list  could go on and on depending on how precise one wants to be.

Since you allready know the battery capacity in amphours simply translate that into kiloWatthours and use the map to figure the PV array size and subsequent electrical needs.

Apr 17, 2006 05:00 am

I just realized that you are refering to the X1500 portable power unit. I had the DR1500 inverter/charger on the brain.
How to charge it with a PV module?
They arent very forth coming with that bit of information are they?
Its unbelieveable... Xantrex can build this X1500 inverter with battery, battery charger, wheeled dolly and all for $324. but thier DR1500 inverter/charger alone can cost between $700. and $1000. depending on who you buy it from. Somebody is going to have to explain that math to me. Unless of course this X1500 inverter aint all that. I mean the DR1500 can power a full size conventional washing machine.
A 60 amphour battery? If I where to stay within the top 20% of charge I'd only have 12 amphours to work with. There are longer lasting batteries in some exit signs. I can remember when I was a little kid, I saw this Mickey Mouse wrist watch, man I wanted that thing. I never did get it though. I geuss its a good thing. Maybe if I had gotten it then, and kept in good shape it might worth a lot today to a collector.
But, hey... to each his/her own.

29 Posts
Apr 18, 2006 09:19 pm

To charge the Xantrex 1500 they provide according to their description already a 12V DC charging cable (for cigarette lighter). Now you just need the opposit (female adaptor) for cigarette lighter connected to the PV module.
There are some portable PV modules on the same page for X1500 in Alt-E shop and the accessories (cables & adaptors) for connection can be also found there.
If you stay at home with the X1500 you don't need the costly portable modules and can go for the cheaper standard modules and connect the female cigarette lighter to it.
Hope there is some (over)charge control also for 12V DC charging build in.

The size of the PV module depends on the frequency of usage. 60AH battery with only 20% discharge = 12AH capacity usage. A 15W PV-module (1A charge) is recharging in a few days, for daily usage of X1500 a > 50W module (3A charge)is needed.
If the X1500 is seldom used and can be easily recharged from AC at home, spending hundreds of US$ for a PV module to save a few cent's of AC recharge cost is not very economical.
--------
I am also suprised about the cost of X1500 including battery, cart + inverter together for 325$ compared with DR1512 inverter for 652$. However the DR1512 has an 165A charger compared to the 5Amp from X1500 and is made to run non-stop for years.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!