Battery Brand & Model Recommendation

2 Posts
Mar 24, 2006 10:26 am
Battery Brand & Model Recommendation

What deep-cycle battery will give me the most bang for my buck on a 24v system? Best place to get them? Thanks...Stan

351 Posts
Mar 24, 2006 02:15 pm
Re: Battery Brand & Model Recommendation

You haven't provided enough data for an intelligent response.

You need to tell us how big of a battery bank you have, or are planning to have. How amphours total do you need ?

Oso

2 Posts
Mar 24, 2006 04:51 pm

That'll always be in a state of flux here. I'm asking is a Trojan better than another brand, is a L16 better than another model, etc. Thanks.

351 Posts
Mar 24, 2006 10:24 pm

As far as the L-16 batteries, Trojan actually makes 3 different models of them and they make 10 other 6 volt, deep cycle, lead acid batteries. So with 13 different selections, Trojan obviously does not think that one battery is the best for all applications.  I suggest that you give them a call at 800-423-6569 and ask their opinion.

Trojan is a good dependable name in batteries and I recommend them for certain uses. But with other uses, I recommend Surrette Batteries, IBE Batteries, and GBC Batteries, just to name a few.

Mar 27, 2006 01:48 am

There isnt a lot of difference amoungst true deep cycle flooded cell lead acid batteries. Whats going to determine the longevity of a battery bank is how well it is sized for the job and how well they are taken care of.
As for "most bang for the buck" its like anything else in this world, "you get what you pay for" and "consumer beware" because the consumer doesnt hold the pencil. Most sellers are going to offer thier best price on what they sell the most of not the best thing they have to sell.
As far as manufactures go... given the choice I would prefer not purchase the Trojan T-105 or any other battery that is manufatured with an offset terminal post, for that reason alone.
When the time comes I thought I would give the Surette 4KS25PS a try.
You might try looking someplace local that sells only lead acid batteries. Size the system well, take real good care of them and they could give just as much value as a namebrand from an renewable energies E-store that would have shipping charges added to the price as well.
When I say "size well" - know the need in amphours for a 24 hour period, multiply that times 5, then at the very least size the PV array to replace it in one sunny day. Preferably Dec. 21 (the shortest day of the year in the contenental U.S.). Size the cables for the job as well, low voltage dc suffers voltage drop over reletivly short distances compared to high voltage ac.
As for taking care of them - avoid discharging them below 50% as much as possible. Keep them clean of any corrosion. Equalize them once a month if possible unless they are staying in the top 20% of charge for the majority of the month. Keep a check on the water level, dont every let the plates become exposed to air.
Keep them as close to 70 degrees F as possible year round.  
All of these things would apply to any brand of true deep cycle flooded cell lead acid battery. One could purchase the greatest battery every made for the best price every offered but if one didnt size right and take care of them the batteries wouldnt be worth squat in a short period of time.

29 Posts
Mar 30, 2006 10:40 pm

Assuming you have a solar system you should consider that your discharge cycle might take several days (no sunshine) and re-charge another couple of days. A starter battery for the car has many thin plates made for a few seconds very high Amperes but not at all usable for solar applications. A deep-cycle golfcart-battery (like T-105) is made and optimized for a high Ampere  discharge during a few hours and a fast recharge of a few hours - also not really the typical solar application. Their life span is around 200 cycles of 80% discharge. The L16 types are longer lasting, I don't find actual number here I remember it as around 250 cycles 80%. But L16 is also optimized for a strong discharge of a few hours. AH rating is mentioned for 5h and 20h but not for the more solar relevant 100h. It's fine for a smaller solar application but not really good for bigger systems. To find a fitting battery the crucial factors are:
(1) size of the battery bank: when you need 1200 or 1300AH you better take big single 2V cells for the battery bank instead combining 6 paralell strings of golfcart or 4 parallel strings of L16's as too many interconnects are needed.
(2) life span: if you use your system for the next 20 years better to buy a long lasting battery now instead every 3-5 years a new golfcart battery.
Which brand to choose ??
for a small system it's an almost philosophical question if a branded product like Trojan T-105 or a 'no name' product for 70% of the price for same capacity is choosen. You can compare price for same capacity per life-span (80% cycles) example: Trojan L16P (390AH) 250 cycles 1 year warranty cost 291$ compared to Surette S530 (400AH) with 800 cycles 7 years warranty for 214$. Means you get a solar specific S530 with 320% lifespan for 73% of the cost.
For bigger systems you can compare Surette (5000s) with IBE and other 2V single cell systems all are usually good for 2000 cycles 80% or 5000-6000 cycles 20% means 20 years life-span.
Other factors are freight cost, availability user service (maybe a local dealer delivery free house, fill the acid in, install interconnects etc....).  

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!