battery charge and discharge

2 Posts
Mar 5, 2006 09:35 pm
battery charge and discharge

I have lucent batteries (valve regulated lead acid batteries) 12 volts system, 3000 amp hr, maintenance free. They are glass fibre matted battery.
Concern, charge capacity and discharge capacity amps. Would these batteries be suitable for a house solar system.
Bernard.

Mar 7, 2006 05:14 am
Re: battery charge and discharge

Wow! They must be pretty big batteries. I know of certain deep cycle flooded cell lead acid submarine batteries that are 7,000 amp hours that measure 14"x14"x60" and are 2 volts nominal.
I tried to research the batteries you described but could not find any specs., all of my searching led me to small batteries that would not be good for a PV system sized for a home.
Do these batteries have a model number?
What are the dimensions of the battery?
Is that 3,000 amp hour rating at 20 hours or 100 hours?
Are they designated "deep cycle"?
Sorry to ask so many questions. I would not want to give an answer without knowing more about the battery.

2 Posts
Mar 8, 2006 05:38 am

>Wow! They must be pretty big batteries.
>I know of certain deep cycle
>flooded cell lead acid submarine batteries
>that are 7,000 amp hours that
>measure 14"x14"x60" and are 2 volts
>nominal.  I tried to research
>the batteries you described but could
>not find any specs., all of
>my searching led me to small
>batteries that would not be good
>for a PV system sized for
>a home. Do these batteries have
>a model number? What are the
>dimensions of the battery? Is that
>3,000 amp hour rating at 20
>hours or 100 hours? Are they
>designated "deep cycle"? Sorry to ask
>so many questions. I would not
>want to give an answer without
>knowing more about the battery.

Thanks for the interest in the batteries.
The dimensions of the battery is: 24cm long, 16cm wide and 65cm high, and they are 3290 ah @ 10hr rate.
Lucent
Cell Type 2/85-25. L
Battery Type 1 AVR 2/85-75 (model No)
Lineage 2000 unigy
Valve regulated Lead Acid Battery
Capacity 3290 AH
WP-93379 L42L
I hope the above info is of interest to you.

Regards Bernard

29 Posts
Mar 10, 2006 08:25 pm

Hi Bernard,
the description ../85-25 (2V cell 25 plate) and the dimensions are fitting exactly to the usual industrial or solar batteries sold under brand name Deka, IBE, Crown, Yuasa ...however I don't find any battery that size from Lucent.
The Ampere-hour rating seems very high compared with the 1255-1350AH @ 20h the other Brands provide for this model size. My own industrial battery (Yuasa/GNB-Exide)with double size and weight per 2V cell has only 1680AH @ 8h. Is the rating '3290' Ampere or really AH (ampere hour) or maybe Lucent is outperforming it's competitors capacity per size 3 times ??
----------------
This huge size 2V 25 plate batteries with glass matting are usually very long lasting and made for deep cycle discharge (2000 cycles @ 80% or 6000 cycles @ 20%) e.g. suitable for solar applications.
So my concern would be more the 12Volt system to run the entire house, usually 24V or better 48V systems are used for high electricity demand of an entire house. But to avoid buying more batteries beside the existing 12V system and  avoid losses in PV wiring you could use a solar converter (charge controller 48V -> 12V).
Also Inverter for 12V are maximum rated for 3000 Watt output, if this is not enough for the whole household, you have to seperate AC wiring to 2 seperate circuits and buy 2 inverters.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!