Battery bank calculation

1 Posts
Sep 30, 2005 04:37 pm
Battery bank calculation

Hi,
 In the calculators on the web that I've seen used to compute the number of batteries needed in a battery bank, all calculations seem to be based on the capacity of the PV array, not the daily electrical usage.

Example: 1500 W array (the example from the Alt-E bb calculator)
   5 day supply = 1500 X 5 = 7500 W-days = C
   ( C X T ) / D = (7500 X 1.02) / 0.50 = 15,300
where T=temperature multiplier for 75 degs. (1.02)
      D=deep cycle multiplier (50% = 0.50)

15,300 / voltage of battery = amp-hrs required

therefore, 15,300 / 12 = 1275 amp-hrs

required amp-hr / amp-hr of selected battery
   = # of batteries (rounded up to nearest even integer.)

1275 / 344 = 4 batteries

However, this implies that the array in the days leading up to the cloud period would only collect 1500 watts per day. That doesn't seem correct to me. I would have expected a 1500 W array to produce 1500 Watts per hour of full sun for each day before the cloudy period.

Am I missing something here ?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

4 Posts
Oct 1, 2005 03:27 pm
Re: Battery bank calculation

Just assume that you will be making 1500 watts per day.  If the 1500 watts are divided by 8 hours you get 187.5 watts per hour.  

So come up with the total watt rating of the solar array, multiply by hours per day, divide by the voltage of the battery bank and you will get the number of amp-hours of batteries you will need.

Correct me if I am wrong.

9 Posts
Apr 9, 2006 07:34 pm
Re: Battery bank calculation

I won't knit-pick, just add some.  Fileark is on the right track.  One has to start with a reasonable estimate of your average daily power generating capacity -- from solar, wind, water, falling trees, whatever.  That _will_ take into account cloudy days, no-wind days, etc..  You've also got to consider that you probably don't want to draw your battery bank juice down more than 50% for the sake of the batteries.  So... through in a factor of 2 when sizing a battery bank, at least, and consider not only your power generation rate, but the length of time (and energy use in that time), worst-case imaginable, so that can plan-in enough extra battery storage capacity for those long draw-down periods.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!