dual charging system and different battery sizes

1 Posts
Mar 24, 2005 04:30 pm
dual charging system and different battery sizes

Just bought 110W solar panel kit for camper with a dedicated 12VDC system run from a type 24 battery that is charged through an isolation solenoid from the vehicle alternator.  In connecting the charge controller to the battery, do I need to install blocking diodes so the alternator of the vehicle does not damage the charge controller?  Isolation solenoid in use now is wired to vehicle ignition so the camper battery is connected to vehicle charging circuit whenever ignition is ACC or ON.

Second question:  I would like to add a type 27  deep cycle battery (Recieved for free)to this circuit so I have 2 batteries for camper use. I believe the differences between battery types will adverse affect total battery life so I want to keep the batteries separate in both charging and discharge circuits.  What has worked for this type of application before?  Simple relays to switch between? or just big switches directly in the lines with operator skill required to prevent problems.  Bottom line goal it to keep the install simple and clean.  Any thoughts of a circuit diagram that would accomplish this.  I know just enough about electronics to be a hazard to myself Smiley    (20 yr navy engineer)

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!