Flat Plate Solar Hot Water using motor oil ???

29 Posts
Feb 13, 2005 08:22 pm
Flat Plate Solar Hot Water using motor oil ???

I am planning on installing a solar hot water system. I want to use oil or some other liquid to runthrough the collector on the roof and then run it through a heat exchager to heat the water. I have seen systems with antifreeze, mineral oil, peanut oil, and some very expensive commercial chemicals that absorb and store heat extremely well but cost over $700 per gallon, (Doupont). What I am looking for is a liquid that will have a long life before it has to be removed and replace. Motor oil and cooking oil will only last about one year before it starts to break down. Antifreeze, about six months. Does anyone know of something that last longer and may also be environmentally friendly? Also anyone with a good heat exchanger design I would be very interested.

Thx, captarcandspark

462 Posts
Mar 22, 2005 10:25 am
Re: Flat Plate Solar Hot Water using motor oil ???

actually todays antifreeze will last around 3-5 years in a solar system. It will last around 2-3 years in a car that operates at much higher temperatures.....

462 Posts
Apr 7, 2005 09:53 am
Re: Flat Plate Solar Hot Water using motor oil ???

...also there are many types of hot water heaters with the heat exchanger built in...

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!