Geothermal HVAC

29 Posts
Feb 13, 2005 08:20 pm
Geothermal HVAC

We plan on installing Geothermal HVAC system in new house being built off grid. These units are so efficient that where a 3 ton air to air unit is needed, a 2 ton Geo unit will be more than large enough. Data has shown that these units actually reduce your electric bill by half in every case, and in some cases even more. One million dollar Dallas home was retrofitted with Geothermal and the electric bill went from averaging $1000 per month to under $400 per month. I am looking to hear from anyone that might have one of these units or have seen one installed and hear the pro's and con's about Geothermal. Many of the H.U.D. homes now being built in Dallas area are having Geothermal systems installed and the the data has show the average cost to both cool and heat an 1800 sq ft home is about 3 to 4 cents per day over a two year period. Other data had shown inteh Dalas area average electric bills of $33 per month. I am also looking for companies that install these Geothermal system in the Central Texas area.

captarcandspark

1 Posts
Aug 2, 2005 11:50 am
Re: Geothermal HVAC

I have a Geothermal system, actually 3 zones by Carrier.  I don't know tonnage of each zone but they are heating/cooling a 5500 sq. ft. addition (to a 1500 sq ft original farm house).  I am located in eastern PA.  This winter we had 3 days at 0F and the system never switched to backup heat.  Also, summer cooling is less than 100 / month.  Average winter bills were about $300 / month.  Obviously the system runs great with these types of bills.  Contractor dug 4 - 200 ft. wells and connected all of them in parallel.  It is very simple and works well.  Besides power savings, they are very quiet and there is no need for anything to be outside.  If you want pictures of the installation e-mail me at pstep @ attglobal.net.

1 Posts
Mar 6, 2007 10:26 pm
Re: Geothermal HVAC

Hi.  I installed a Waterfurnace brand geo heat pump in December of 2006 and it became fully operational mid-month.  I have a 1650 sq ft ranch, and we keep the thermostat at 70 deg F 24 hours a day.  I also use the unit to generate some of my hot water.  What I've found so far is that when it is 20 Deg F outside, it costs about $0.10/hour to keep the house at 70 F and supply some hot water (I'm not sure how much hot water it generates - haven't determined that yet - it supplements my electric hot water heater).
I have a 3 ton unit, and have a horizontal loop consisting of 4 500ft parallel 3/4" pipes buried from 5 to 5.5 foot deep (total of 2000 ft).  Although the unit was expensive to put in, we are very happy with it and are looking forward to our first ever summer with air conditioning.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!