Morningstar 10 amp charge controller overcharging?

20 Posts
Jun 30, 2011 02:45 pm
Morningstar 10 amp charge controller overcharging?

I have been watching my voltages closely and I think my charge controller may be overcharging my battery.  I am seeing a voltage of 13.4-13.6 volts at the end of charging after the battery has been at rest for 4 hours.  Is the controller overcharging?

462 Posts
Jun 30, 2011 10:07 pm
Re: Morningstar 10 amp charge controller overcharging?

Nope, most 12 volt batteriew will charge up to 14 volts so 13 + is okay.

99 Posts
Jul 1, 2011 04:01 pm

14 for regular charge, 15 for equalizing.  11 is about the bare minimum to discharge before causing damage.  So anywhere between 11+ and 13+ is the usual range to find it in.

20 Posts
Jul 4, 2011 04:10 am

I feel like an idiot for not checking on multiple meters before posting this topic.

The cheap harbor freight meter I was using had a low battery in it.  This was causing it to give incorrect readings.  When I checked that meter against a known good meter I discovered the error.

I knew something was wrong when I started to see voltages in the 18 volt range on the battery during charging.

I am going to replace that multimeter with a standard panel type analog meter.
« Last Edit: Jul 4, 2011 04:12 am by Travis Austin »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!