golf cart panel and controller

1 Posts
Oct 30, 2010 08:22 pm
golf cart panel and controller

TO WHOM
       MY GOLF CART HAS A BANK OF 8(TOTAL) 6VOLT BATTERIES, WIRED IN SERIES TO EQUAL 48 VOLTS. IT REMAINS OUTDOORS 24/7
IN THE SUNSHINE STATE OF FLORIDA. IT IS NOT USED EVERYDAY, AND WHEN IT IS USED I JUDGE IT TO BE LIGHT DUTY IE: LESS THAN 8 MILES. THE MOTOR IS 5.5 HP,AND THE CART CAME STOCKED WITH A 12 VOLT CONVERTER FOR ACCESSORIES AND A BATTERY CONDITION METER. I NEED ADVISE FOR A PROPER SOLAR PANEL AND CONTROLLER TO MAINTAIN THE SYSTEM. PLEASE BE SPECIFIC AS TO MANUFACTURERS AND MODEL #S
    I HOPE THIS WORKS, I TRIED ON MY OWN AND ALL I GOT WAS MORE CONFUSED.
                      THANK YOU
                      BOB LARSEN

22 Posts
Nov 1, 2010 03:20 pm
Re: golf cart panel and controller

Bob,

Quite often the deciding factor on what solar panel to use is the physical size you have available.�  You need to have the voltage of the panels add up to 48V to match the battery bank, so you could do four 12V panels wired in series (plus to minus, plus to minus, etc).�  Kyocera makes great panels that can be used for this.�  So divide the space you have available on the canopy into 4, and see what will physically fit.�  For example, the Kyocera 50W is just over 25" by 25", so if you have around 52" x 52" available, you could use 4 of them for 200W.�  http://www.altestore.com/store/Solar-Panels/1-to-50-Watt-Solar-Panels/Kyocera-KC50T-50W-12V-Solar-Panel-with-J-Box/p723/�  Once you determine the panels you will use, you can decide which 48V charge controller to use.�  For example, you could use the Morningstar ProStar, http://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/PWM-Type-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Morningstar-Charge-Controllers-PWM/Morningstar-Prostar-PS-15M-48V-15A48V-Charge-Cntrlr/p786/.� 

Once you know how much space you have, give us a call at the AltE Store and we can help you sort through your options.� 

Amy

Solar Thermal Queen
AltE Store

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2015 05:22 pm by Amy Beaudet »

46 Posts
Nov 1, 2010 06:51 pm
Re: golf cart panel and controller

hi robert, any way to build a garage or covering for your cart? if you had the space, there is potential to build a roof with the optimal angle and exactly south facing. you would then be able to fit any modules (solar panels) you wanted. having the "best" angle can really pull all the value out of those modules. just a thought. best of luck, -m

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!