Solar Panel Efficiency

1 Posts
Oct 15, 2008 03:46 pm
Solar Panel Efficiency

Does anybody know exactly what the ratio is for the measurement of Panel Efficiency? I understand that it is a %, some sources claim that it is Power Out/Power In. However, I'm more concerned with the energy output (Wh). If anybody has some insight with regards to this, please feel free to express your opinion.

19 Posts
Nov 15, 2008 10:27 am
Re: Solar Panel Efficiency

I have a 3500 watt pv system, but the best I can generate is about 3100 watts around 2pm in the day. My best output is fall, and spring.  mostly, with a little dust on the system as is now the case, the output is about 2600 to 2800 watts. My one array did put out 1100 watts and is rated only 1040 watts. this was when new.  my supplier says I should lose about 20% of the power of the rated max for the panel. 
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2008 09:03 am by William Clark »

Nov 16, 2008 04:37 pm

When determining ratios there is a need for a comparison value.
http://www.aaastudy.com/rat62bx2.htm

All we have to start with is the PV modules ratings at the STC or Standard Test Conditions which are only possible in a lab under strict guidelines, but this should do.
The other thing we need is ratings based on real world conditions averaged out over a specific period of time. Say, longest day to longest day. June 21 in my region. Then you formulate the ratio of panel efficiency as compared to STC ratings. Luckily someone has been recording solar radiation for nearly 30 years at various places of the North American continent.
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/redbook/atlas/
Once there, chose: average, annual, flat plate tilted south at latitude then view map. Find your regions color, compared it to the legend. What this will give you is an approximation of the number of hours of equivalent full rated power of a PV module. Notice over the legend it shows kWh/m2/day. Thats an equivalent of 1000 watts per hour over a 1 meter square area per day. Obviously there are a lot of other factors involved here but this should give an approximation. Try other scenarios. Get to know whats going on with this. Try one similar to your PV array for this month and see how it compares to the number of hours of equivalent full rated power you are actually getting from your array.

Lets say for example you have a 1000 watt PV array facing south tilted at latitude plus 15 degrees in December and you live in central Nebraska. Go to the above site, click average, December, flat plate South tilted latitude� +15 degrees then view map. Look at the legend for central Nebraska and you see 3 to 4 kW hrs per day of potential energy from our Sun averaged out over the month. You have recorded the amount of actual power from your PV array and it equates to 2.5 kW hrs. per day averaged out for the month as well. Divided 2.5 by 3.5 = an efficiency of 71%, roughly speaking. That would make a ratio of what? 5:7 this tell us that you would need two more modules to reach 100% Or a 1:1 ratio. Is this right? Check my math please. I don't get the chance to play with ratios much.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2008 04:39 pm by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

19 Posts
Nov 17, 2008 09:02 am

on the upside you could reach 100 percent theoretically;
but on the downside, where the wattage enters the system and does its power work on charging batteries and running your electrical needs in the home...and I believe this is what really counts...you would still lose up to 20 percent because of the things the wattage has to go throe to get to the end use, IE batts, washer, well pump etc.

You add more arrays to make up for the loss; eg 4500 watts of power would NET you 3600+ watts END power at optimum, actual, field working conditions.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!