controller setting

27 Posts
Sep 17, 2008 03:29 pm
controller setting

I currently have a charge controller that goes into a trickle charge float mode at 13.7 volts .
At the end of the day my battery may read 13.5 to 13.7 volts which I believe is the surface charge rate .
By morning my battery may read 12.8 volts.
Should I set the charge controller to shut down at a higher voltage lets say 14.5 volts in order to give me a fuller charged battery the next morning. I don't want to cook my batteries,so would 14.5 setting be ok? Or could I go a little higher even 15 volts ?
Thanks
Rene

Sep 17, 2008 06:53 pm
Re: controller setting

Good afternoon.

It really depends on the type of battery you have. For example, you might not want to float a gel any higher, but some types of flooded or AGMs might be able to accept higher charging voltages without damage.

Generally the battery manufacturer has a published voltage for bulk, absorbtion and float. (or at the very least, float). There is some head room in the specs, but I'd recommend that you follow the battery manufacturer's specs. On a typical 12v flooded, that'd be 13.8. The only reason to go above that voltage is if you have stratification in the electrolye and need to equalize the cells. (NOT for gel or AGM)

At a voltage of 12.8V, you're likely still above 90 % depth of discharge... (as in 90% of the energy remains) so it's not that you're doing terrible damage to it's plates letting it sit there.

:-)

Regards,
Nathan
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2008 06:54 pm by Nathan Skretting »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!