solar hot water panel installation

4 Posts
Jun 11, 2008 10:56 am
solar hot water panel installation

I was just given 2 20 year old panels. How do I plumb them in? Closed system, on the roof, down to the garage to baseboard heat. What size pump, etc?
Tom

462 Posts
Jun 12, 2008 11:53 am
Re: solar hot water panel installation

Tom, where are you located? If you are in a cold climate a closed loop system utilizing antifreeze is the norm. A heat exchanger tank should be included, if this is the case, for hot water storage. Locate the panels in whatever spot gets the most sun each day and throughout the year. Most times the roof is not the best spot. Standard circulators for heating are usually the norm for these closed loop systems.

4 Posts
Jun 12, 2008 09:01 pm

Located in Maine. (the sunny southern part)
I'm trying to do without the expense of a storage tank, just passing the heated water thru the baseboard heater in a cold garage to assist in heating the living space above. Would this work?

462 Posts
Jun 13, 2008 08:37 pm

Tom, if you are looking for an easy and cheap way out, use a closed loop with antifreeze. Then you can either use a differential controller to turn the pump on whenever the panels are hotter than the garage. Or just use a manual switch wired to the pump and turn it on manually whenever sun is available. You can incorporate a 110 volt thermostat too if you want to....

4 Posts
Jun 13, 2008 09:36 pm

Super! Thats just what I needed to know. Thanks for helping!  I can't wait to get the system operational.
tom

462 Posts
Jun 15, 2008 10:55 am

Tom, one other suggestion, if you can get your hands on some old cast iron radiators, they may be better than using regular baseboard heaters. At least they will hold the heat and radiate longer. A radiant heat zone in an insulated slab is good too, though I am sure your garage already has a finished concrete floor.

4 Posts
Jun 16, 2008 06:59 pm

Good idea ! Hmmm, have to think about that. They're somewhere about.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!