Can I use......

4 Posts
Jun 6, 2008 04:30 pm
Can I use......

Hello all!
I am wondering if I can use some spare UPS style batteries that I have on hand (eg. SLA 12-12AH @ 3.6A & SLA 12-17AH)rather than buying a deep cycle wet battery. I want to build a small PV system for my garden shed for testing and learning. The budget is about one 30w sized panel.
thanks to any that reply,
Steve.   

163 Posts
Jun 7, 2008 12:54 pm
Re: Can I use......

With a 30w panel it should not be a problem. Your approach is a good one, don't spend a lot of money until you're sure of what you're buying.

4 Posts
Jun 7, 2008 03:06 pm

Thanks for the reply John.
Our local Canadian Tire sells the 30amp Sunforce charge controller with display for $129cdn I have seen it cheeper on the web but buying local means no shipping. Has anyone used this unit?
-Steve

184 Posts
Jun 7, 2008 08:24 pm

My first off-grid PV system started with about a dozen used UPS batteries.  It worked well for awhile.  As the batteries aged, and failed one by one, it was a hastle to sort out the good from the bad.  A couple of marine deep cycle batteries from Wal-Mart made life a lot simpler.

Also, it seems that you're planning to mix batteries of different capacities as well.  That is not recommended.  Still, if I were to start over again, I would probably do what you're planning to do. 

And since you're starting off small, I'm wondering why you've chosen a $129 charge controller when you could get by much cheaper.  I suppose it's because you want the display, right?  I decided to go with Morningstar, with display, and I love it.

4 Posts
Jun 9, 2008 02:02 pm

>John D.:I suppose it's because you want the display, right?
Yep, you guessed it and it makes life easier to educate the kids. They could just read the numbers off the controller rather than poking a voltmeter's probes some where they shouldn't. I was wondering if the different type batteries might cause charging problems but then at this size scale I   can try it for the summer months and see, couldn't hurt eh?

thanks, for the replies
-Steve   

184 Posts
Jun 9, 2008 06:44 pm

Steve,

I would like to suggest that you connect all of your batteries to positive and negative bus-bars.  That way it will be easy to disconnect batteries one by one for testing and troubleshooting purposes.  I bought my bus-bars from my local hardware store.  They are actually the grounding bars that are used inside breaker boxes.

John

4 Posts
Jun 12, 2008 01:55 pm

Great idea, John D.
I also have some 10ga automotive style plugs that would work well with the bus-bar idea. 10ga should handle 30amps eh?
thanks,
Steve

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!